Subject: Helping hands!

Greetings!

Just a quick update from Nancy, France (at the TEI, Text Encoding
Initiative members meeting).

Meet with Laurent Romary, Chair of ISO TC 37 / SC4 (Language Resource
Management) after discovering that they want to create standard
identifiers (he even used the term URI) for common categories such as
gender, person, etc.

Laurent will be sending me the working documents that have already been
prepared in the group (I will ask for permission to forward to Mary for
posting to the TC document repository) and I will be forwarding him
links to the various OASIS TC drafts, committee approved documents and
the like.

There is some chance he may be able to attend the face-to-face meeting
of the PubSubj TC at XML 2003, but if not, he will be in the States and
if we can make the teleconference option work, he will at least be able
to attend by phone.

I will be asking him to advise other members of his SC and related
groups with which they are working of our activities and the appropriate
URLs at which to learn more.

There are several other individuals and groups here that may be
interested in our work and I will report on further expressions of
interest or participation as they arise. It is possible that the TEI
Consortium itself may wish to charter a group to work with the OASIS TC
on this subject. (or should I use topic? never quite sure these days.
Not all that surprising since I often don't know the day of the week.
;-) Perhaps Lars can give me some guidance or cheat sheet on subject vs.
topic to paste to my monitor.)

Hope this is a bright note in everyone's day! It certainly was in mine!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development