Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj] Contradicting a PSI

* Bernard:

| I meant (I think Lars Marius also) a contradiction in the following sense
|
| Publisher declares a PSI to identify a subject A
| User uses it as a PSI to identify a topic X, of which actual subject is B,
| not identical to A.
|
| 'A is not identical to B' means 'it exists some assertion true for B that
| is false for A'.
| This is the simplest way to say two subjects are different : you can say
| something which is true for one and false for the other.

Yeuk. Please, let's not go *there*! As SRN is fond of saying:
You should never confuse topic maps with the truth!

Neither should you restrict topic maps to being non-contradictory.

The CIA might have a PSI for Osama that states he's a terrorist. Do
I have to agree with that assertion in order to use the corresponding
PSID with integrity? I sincerely hope not.

The point is to know whether we are talking about the same thing...
not whether we have the same opinions about it.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
Chief Strategy Officer, Ontopia