Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Scoping in Association

Robert Barta,

Thank You Very much.

Really it's a very good explanation about the scope and the
associations. Now I will try to see the SHARKS............

Thanks for the tutorial link....

Regards,
chandra.
--- In xtm-wg@y..., Robert Barta <rho@b...> wrote:
> dcmohan75@y... wrote:
> > I want to use "scope" in associations. I read the articles and the
> > XTM Specification. But I need to use in a practical scenario.
> >
> > I tried by defining "scope" to the topics.
> > For example,
> >
> > <topic id="st-fullname">
> > </topic>
>
> Chandra,
>
> You are using an obsolete syntax. See
>
>   http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/
>
> for the specification or
>
>   http://topicmaps.bond.edu.au/tutorials.mc
>
> for XTM tutorials.
>
> > Here, scoping in topics is working fine. I don't know how to do
> > scoping in "Associations".
>
> In the XTM version you do not scope _topics_, you scope
> _characteristics of topics_.
>
> An example of association scoping could be
>
>      "Santa Clause brings the gifts at Chrismas".
>
> This association I would scope for "small-children" (silently
assuming
> that not too many adults believe in that).
>
> > Moreover, if I want associate between two topics,
> > for example
> > "to get all the employees working under specific manager",
>
> It depends what you want to express (others may please correct me
if I
> am overinterpreting XTM):
>
>   - if you would like to express that there is a crew in exactly
this
>     configuration then you would write.....
>
> > <assoc types="working-under">
> >  <assocrl types="manager" href="manager-john">
> >  <assocrl types="employee" href="eric">
> >  <assocrl types="employee" href="john">
> >  <assocrl types="employee" href="george">
> >  <assocrl types="employee" href="chandra">
> > </assoc>
>
> <association>
>    <instanceOf><topicRef
> ......at-australian-government..../></instanceOf>
>    <member>
>       <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#r-prime-
minister"/></roleSpec>
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#p-john-howard"/>
>    </member>
>    <member>
>       <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#r-treasurer"/></roleSpec>
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#p-peter-costello"/>
>    </member>
> </association>
>
>    - If the relationship is "was minister under a prime minister"
then
>      you would use individual associations:
>
> > <assoc types="working-under">
> >  <assocrl types="manager" href="manager-john">
> >  <assocrl types="employee" href="eric">
> > </assoc>
>
> > If I define the associations separately for the related topics,
I'm
> > getting all the lists. Suppose if there are 1000 employees, it's
very
> > difficult to define the associations.
>
> This is the reason why many Topic Map tools allow you to convert
> data from 'legacy' applications, such as relational databases or
> LDAP servers or ...you name it.
>
> > Is there any way to apply "scoping in this association"?
>
> In the example above we could scope for the period in which this
> particular government ruled. If we would relax the association type
> to be 'at-government' instead of 'at-australian-government', then
> could also scope for 'c-australia'.
>
> > It will be a great help by clearing this water.
>
> Water is clearer now? Then you will start to see the sharks. ;-)
>
> \rho

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KVNB7A/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM