Subject: [xtm-wg] The Future of TopicMaps.Org

I would like to start a discussion about the future of
TopicMaps.Org.

I believe that the time has come to rethink our whole future
strategy for the furtherance of topic mapping. TM.Org set out
to adapt ISO 13250 for use on the Web and that goal has been
achieved. Whatever its flaws, XTM 1.0 is something we can all
be proud of.

But there is more work to be done, both in terms of promoting
the specification, building the community, and extending the
specification to cover processing, templates, queries, etc.

Producing XTM 1.0 was a heroic effort by all concerned, but it
came at a high price, that of dividing the topic map community.
As a result, TopicMaps.Org no longer has the authority, in my
opinion, to play the vital role of custodian of the XTM spec in
the future.

I would like to propose a new organization to which we transfer
the rights to XTM. I see three alternatives:

(1) TM.Org could reinvent itself
(2) We could create a new organization
(3) We could join an existing organization

Whichever route we choose, the first prerequisite is that it
should have the backing of the whole community. I am currently
tending towards alternative (3) as being the most realistic.
OASIS has been mentioned as a possibility; there may be others.

The goals of the new organization should be:

1. Reunite the topic map community.
2. Put significant marketing effort into promoting understanding
   and use of the topic map paradigm for the global interchange
   and federation of knowledge.
3. Act as the custodian of the XTM specification.
4. Provide the forum for further development of the paradigm.
5. (other)

It goes without saying that all positions in TopicMaps.Org,
including that of editorship, should be reassigned as part of
this regroupment. I am ready to resign as editor at any time to
help achieve this.

I would like to hear the opinions of members of TM.Org (i.e. all
readers of this mailing list, not just AG members, past and
present).

Best regards,

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM