Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] The Future of TopicMaps.Org

[james mason
> Any model that claims to include ISO/IEC13250 can be done
> only in SC34

"include"? What about based on, or derived from? I accept that ISO
standards are authoritative in a way that specifications are not (that
it, after all, ISO's claim to distinctive competence). But can't useful
work on the topic map paradigm take place from the bottom up, as well
as the top down?

It ought to be possible to have a layered approach, where useful,
though not authoritative work could go on, say at the OASIS level,
which feeds into and informs the work at the ISO level. And vice versa!
Maybe, for example, since there is "near universal" agreement on the
DTD it's a good candidate for ISO-ization. (This is good for the
industry too, since it enhances the perception of stability.)

> How many of you have actually bought a document?

I bought *both* versions of HyTime!

[murray]
> If all further work on XTM is done within ISO, I believe its
> visibility and momentum in the Web community will vanish. I don't
> think of this as a slur on ISO so much as a statement on the
> exigencies of the Web community. I also believe that moving all
> further work on XTM into W3C (at this time) would likely result the
> destruction of both the technology (it would get eaten) and its
> community (it would be dispersed)

I have to say that I agree with Murray here (unfortunately).

I don't think it should be either/or ISO/OASIS. I think it should be
both/and. One strength of OASIS that no one has mentioned is that it
has a process in place for developement that could help us develop
consensus across a broader spectrum of participants (I think) that
would be likely to participate in SC34. (Of course, I don't know what
OASIS would think of this approach.)

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM