Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Digest Number 288

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 10:27:57AM -0000, xtm-wg@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> There are 5 messages in this issue.
>
> Topics in this digest:
>
>       1. Re: Berlin meeting - May 26-28
>            From: Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
>       2. RE: The Future of TopicMaps.Org
>            From: Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
>       3. Re: The Future of TopicMaps.Org
>            From: scott.tsao@boeing.com
>       4. RE: XTM & OASIS
>            From: "Jean Delahousse" <jean.delahousse@mondeca.com>
>       5. Re: XTM & OASIS
>            From: "H. Holger Rath" <hhr@step.de>

> Message: 1
>    Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:34:57 +0200
>    From: Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
> Subject: Re: Berlin meeting - May 26-28
>
> I plan to be at the meeting in Berlin.
>
> Steve
>
> At 12:49 20.04.2001 -0500, Eric Freese wrote:
> >I want to get an idea of who is planning to attend the XTM meeting that is
> >currently scheduled for May 26-28 in Berlin.  In Austin we chartered two
> >subgroups which will allow work to be done even if a quorum of participating
> >members cannot be achieved.
> >
> >Also if there are agenda items to be discussed, please let me know.  Things
> >I have on the list include:
> >
> >- future of TopicMaps.Org (new host?, new organization?)
> >- processing model
> >- templates
> >- TMQL?
> >
> >Please respond to this request by April 30.
> >
> ><!-- ****************************************************************
> >Eric Freese                                    Email: eric@isogen.com
> >Director - Professional Services - Midwest     Voice:    651 636 9180
> >ISOGEN International/DataChannel               Fax:      651 636 9191
> >1611 West County Road B - Suite 204            WWW:    www.isogen.com
> >St. Paul, MN 55113                                www.datachannel.com
> >***************************************************************** -->
>
> --
> Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
> Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)
> Ontopia AS, Waldemar Thranes gt. 98, N-0175 Oslo, Norway.
> http://www.ontopia.net/ phone: +47-23233080 GSM: +47-90827246

> Message: 2
>    Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:53:19 +0200
>    From: Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
> Subject: RE: The Future of TopicMaps.Org
>
> Adrian,
> Nonsense! XTM is too important to be left to those that have had
> the opportunity to participate actively up to now. I encourage more
> of the lurkers on this list to express their opinions and help us
> make the right choice for the future of topic mapping.

OK. Then I was called for. Respect, background, future AND
FREEDOM the same level that tm.org has now. Keeping the
character of the xtm standard as produced by independent
individuals.

I was very satisfied with the status quo: topicmaps.org
was (an amazing quality) project of some individuals.
But if  you need "impetus" I would consider joining
an umbrella organization like Apache. To be an apache
project means to be well-known. Apache.org has many web
related projects, e.g. xml.apache.org could host xtm.
OK, xtm is difefrent but if you look at the other ones
you may think iof it as a missing piece.

I think the future mainly depends on some good
implementation and you can find a couple of good
programmers around apache. Maybe tm4j could be donated
as a start (I know it's a different story).

Lurker (everywhere in my life)               incze