Subject: [topicmaps-comment] WANTED: Topic Map reference applications

Hi,

A major objective of TopicMaps.Org (which
hopefully will be established soon under
the hospice of OASIS) is the marketing
of the Topic Maps paradigm. An important
issue of marketing a new technology is
a list of reference projects successfully
using the technology.

I would to initiate a thread about such
successful reference topic map applications
with the goal to put them together on the
TopicMaps.Org web site and to maintain this
list as a marketing instrument for the whole
topic maps community and especially for the
consultants and tool vendors.

Since this list will be taken serious by
prospects topic map customers we should be
very serious when putting this list together.

I propose that we categorize the TM applications
into:

-	in productive use (professional environment)

-	in productive use (academic environment)

-	under development, but will be in productive use soon
	(professional or academic env.)

Each application should be described with:

  Name: ((name of application))

  Customer: ((name of customer))

  Brief description: ((3-4 sentences describing the application))

  Online access: ((URL of application - if available))

  Find more: ((URL with more information about the application))

  Contact: ((person to contact to learn more about the application))

I hope that we are able to gather a variatiy of reference
applications. If we are not able to do so we should raise the
question if topic maps have beed a success yet.

I will start talking to our customers and to get their approval
for publishing the information about their projects. See this
email as a trigger for you to do the same. I am confident that
we are able to put a first list together before Baltimore
(XML 2002 conference, Dec 08-13) and to use the list as marketing
instrument in Baltimore already.

Regards,
--Holger

--