Subject: RE: [tosca] terminology for naming TOSCA files and templates

Hi Tal,

That could work, but there are TOSCA files that are neither service templates nor profiles (e.g. the files that are imported by service template files).

Also, if we did away with the topology_template keyword, then it would be slightly harder to validate âuniquenessâ of the keys. For example, can I have a top-level template that defines node_templates, and then import a separate TOSCA file that defines policies?

From: tosca@lists.oasis-open.org <tosca@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Tal Liron
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 3:20 PM
To: Chris Lauwers <lauwers@ubicity.com>
Cc: tosca@lists.oasis-open.org

The subtle point is that we have two kinds of "TOSCA files" (by the way, I call them "units" internally in Puccini):

  • A TOSCA file that contains a topology_template
  • A TOSCA file that does not contain a topology_template (and likely contains type definitions of various kinds)

Files can import each other with the exception that a file with a topology_template cannot be imported into another file.

The term "service template" is meaningful, I think, because it refers to an entire collection of files (the import tree) with a topology_template at its root. A CSAR file, for example, can package an entire service template. The topology_template is one specific aspect of it.

Relatedly: a "profile" is also a collection of TOSCA files except that it does not have a topology_template at its root.

Distinguishing these things is useful. However, I agree that perhaps different terms can be used.

But I would like to think of this a bit differently! I've always thought that we don't need the "topology_template" keyword at all. All its sub-keywords -- node_templates, groups, policies -- could just be elevated to the main YAML level. This would reduce indentation and verbosity without any change to grammar. (By the way, this is how Cloudify does it.) Note that the same import rule should apply in this case: you cannot import a TOSCA file that contains node_templates. groups, policies, etc.

So, my suggestion ends up being the opposite of yours, Chris. Let's do away with the "topology_template" keyword and all mention of it. Thus we are left with two clear concepts:

  • Service template: A TOSCA file that has node_templates, groups, policies, etc.
  • Profile: any collection of TOSCA files that are not service templates.

Any file can import other files as long as they are not also service templates.