Subject: RE: [tosca] On "complex"

Hi Peter,

I think that with sufficient abstraction, all of your âfirewallingâ concepts should be expressible in TOSCA. I use an abstraction framework based on John Strassnerâs âPolicy Continuumâ. The policy continuum states that policies can be expressed at various levels of abstractions, and it introduces examples of these different levels of abstractions. While John was focused on policies, the âlevels of abstractionsâ framework extends naturally to modeling as well, and in my opinion the combination of âmodelsâ with associated âpoliciesâ at different levels of abstractions provides a very nice construct to automate âintent. Iâm attaching a slide introducing Johnâs different levels of abstractions, and how this can be used for real-time media delivery. Iâd love to work with you to apply this to your firewalling example.

From: Bruun, Peter Michael (CMS RnD Orchestration) <peter-michael.bruun@hpe.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 11:26 PM
To: Tal Liron <tliron@redhat.com>
Cc: Chris Lauwers <lauwers@ubicity.com>; tosca@lists.oasis-open.org

In my world, âintentâ is expressed by the difference between âfirewallâ and âfirewallingâ.

My intent is that there must be firewalling in place between two logical connectivity domains.

The realization of firewalling could be many things, depending on many actual circumstances ...

  • a firewall between two actual networks
    • Virtual firewall
    • Physical firewall
    • A slice of a physical firewall
  • several firewalls deployed in the right places, or
  • SDN configuration rules deployed on all routers with access to the networks
  • â?

Note that the firewalling intent will need user-defined inputs â what kind of firewalling is required? Is any specific content-type to be blocked? Just a simple routing rule that isolates content? Encryption? â? The realization will depend on these choices, and in a day 2 scenario, the inputs may be modified so that the previous realization is no longer possible, and a different realization must be deployed in its stead.

Is TOSCA today able to express the intent of firewalling, or only the various realizations of that intent?

You can place an abstract node to express some realizations that use a single firewall (virtual, physical, â), but some of my examples above are not really expressible like that. Using SDN technology, for example, firewalling is a distributed property of multiple router configurations â and if someone adds a router, then it must also have that configuration in order to realize the full intent. How is that expressed as a node in a topology?

The intent of firewalling can of course be hand-waved as a Policy, but that basically just delegates the responsibility for the intent to some hard-coded functionality in the orchestrators, and that to me is not the same as being able to express the intent âin the TOSCA languageâ. That to me seems like it is just a catch-all saying â âIf you have an intent that is not expressible as nodes and relationships, then simply invent a custom Policy to express itâ.

I am probably not sufficiently experienced with TOSCA to see some obvious answers to the above.

Peter