trans-ws message

Subject: RE: [trans-ws] Meeting Minutes - 4 Sept

Hi all,

I will be sending out the agenda tomorrow for Thursday's meeting. I would like to remind you before this to start looking at the documents listed below in Gerard's mail as these will be the basis for our meeting.

Gerard, thanks for this very informative and useful mail.

Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Cattin des Bois [mailto:gcatt@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: 06 September 2003 02:11
To: Tony Jewtushenko; trans-ws@lists.oasis-open.org; Reynolds, Peter

Here are what I promised and then some:
1. Here is the document link for RFC 3066: ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3066.txt
2. Here is the document link for the WS-Security Index Page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/wssecurspecindex.asp this document summarizes WS-Security in 2-3 pages and provides pointers to more specific items and specs, one of which is the lengthy (21p)architectural document authored by both IBM and Microsoft: "http://msdn.microsoft.com/ws-security/ (Security Roadmap)" (may work better with http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwssecur/html/securitywhitepaper.asp)
3. I also found an interesting, short document on Web Services specifications (primer for basic functionality of a web service):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/wsspecsover.asp

For the next discussion, I would recommend the following:
1. We all read second document WS-Security Index Page prior to meeting. 2. Also prior to meeting, we all read the following part of the architecture and roadmap (whitepaper under item 2): Abstract, executive summary, introduction and motivation, terminology. In addition, let's read section 3 (short). 3. During the meeting we review together section 2: Web services security specification to understand the architectural components of the security model. We will pick from that list of items what security components we recommend to implement. 4. During the meeting, we review the applicable scenarios to support (section 4).
5. During the meeting, we identify which architectural components need to be implemented. Once we understand what scenarios we want to support, then the rest of the components to support will become (or should) become clearer.

Peter, feel free to change this proposed agenda. I recognize that it is a bit of prep work to have a good productive meeting and that we have a lot of data to review as well. We may need more than one session to do this, and perhaps we should take more than one session. One to familiarize ourselves with the subject matter (agenda items 1-3), and the next to review the scenarios (agenda item 4), then the next to articulate which components become necessary to support the desired scenarios (agenda item 5).

This discussion would also be a good one to have during an face-to-face meeting as it gets complex and drawings may become necessary to articulate ideas and designs.

Also Tony's minutes are quite sufficient regarding the discussion we had during the last TC. I don't think it is necessary to post a more detailed review since reviewing these documents should clear up a lot of unknown.
Cheers,
-Gérard

Gérard Cattin des Bois
LocStudio Program Manager