Subject: Re: [trust-el] IETF non-working group email list: Vectors of Trust

Susan-
Yes, thanks for this. One of the outcomes of this effort may well be to develop a framework (or similar) to enable RPs to calculate some relevant calculation of assurance based upon their particular business needs, and this will presumably vary from RP to RP as they give different weighting to different factors, using their own algorithms. And as with anything else, RPs would be free to use or ignore this as they choose and as they find appropriate for their situations.

It has also come up in several recent conversations that more are becoming aware that identity attributes go beyond those that are stored in directories etc., to include contextual and transitory attributes that are being used in e.g. KBA and similar, including things like geolocation, cookies found (or not), IP address seen before (or not), actions immediately preceding a request, etc.

I should have also pointed out that NIST is engaged in this discussion, and FYI this may be of interest to the group:
http://secureidnews.com/news-item/nist-may-revise-four-levels-of-assurance/

This effort is an attempt to knit together the various work underway, although making no claim to being the best or definitive. I encourage anyone interested to subscribe to the mailing list and join the conversation.
	Steve

--
Steve Olshansky
Trust & Identity Program Lead