ubl-cefact message

Subject: Re: UN/CEFACT response to UBL

Dear Jon,
Thank you for your rapid and considered response to our email  of yesterday.
Arising from your comments we would like to make the following observations:

1. With regard to the issue of  “the preferred” versus “a preferred”
document -centric approach we share your perspective.  There will only be
one XML document-centric solution and UN/CEFACT will not support multiple
XML document-centric approaches.   On reflection, the wording in our email
of yesterday was misleading. By way of explanation, the rationale for our
statement regarding “the preferred” position arose from the fact that we
have received input from many other organizations.  As an open,
international, organization we need to take that input into account.
However, our intention has always been that UBL will be the foundation for
our document-centric approach.

Therefore, to clarify our position we are now proposing the following text
for your consideration:

“UBL will be the foundation for the UN/CEFACT XML document-centric approach.
In addition, subject to your agreement, the brand UBL will be formally
recognized in the official UN/CEFACT naming of this product.”

The extension in the UBL timeline concerns us. Is there anything that we can
do together, between now and Seoul, to mitigate the impact of this delay?
You are well aware that the global user community is anxiously awaiting the
conclusion of our deliberations, and the incorporation of UBL into UN/CEFACT
during the Seoul Forum in September 2003.

I look forward to your response.

Yours,
Ray.
Ray Walker, Chairman UN/CEFACT Steering Group
<raywalker@attglobal.net>  WWW.uncefact.org
Mobile: +44 78666 86185; London: Voice: + 44 208 297 1836 Fax: + 44 208  297
9392
Brussels: Voice & Fax: + 32 2 660 2039