ubl-cmsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-cmsc] XSD Derivation

I know that in my original message I said I was entirely agnostic and was ready
to be lobbied one way or another.

However, I can't avoid playing devil's advocate; there are some things that must
be clarified before a decision is made.

a) Tools will do this, tools will do that.
With Eve (and others, of course) I participated in the development of DocBook; one
of the guiding principles of that effort was that whatever was added to DocBook
had to be supported consistenly by existing tools. This was when one
"faction" in the SGML community was hoarsely declaring that it should have all
kinds of things because the tools were just around the corner. Our response was
a polite "bollocks". Time proved that the tools never materialized. And DocBook
went to become a success story, which it wouldn't have if it had had all
those things that utterly depended on non-existent tools. (NB: this argument does
not apply to the context rules language as in v1.04; those are just an expression of
what to do - they could (conceivably) be written in plain text; they could also
be implemented by hand; they are not tool-bound).

b) myIgnorance
I'd really like to know how Commerce One's XDK works. Bill Burcham's email in this
regard rises all kinds of questions. What happens, for instance, when my processor
just sees "a Price since the schema processor will deal with hiding the extensions,
restrictions, etc." -- first of all, why is this so desirable? Isn't the assumption
behind all of this that if someone sends me a price that contains, say, tax information
that is applicable in NAFTA commerce, I should see it? Why would it be an advantage
to have my application not process it? (and please, this is just a silly example,
whether Price ever contains tax info is irrelevant). What I want
to know is in what measure one can treat legally binding documents as if they were
software objects that may be treated more or less accurately. One other way of expressing
this, and I apologize for perhaps asking the same question in various ways, is: if
I'm so concerned with my application getting the right information that I go to the
trouble of validating the documents being interchanged, why would I be so cavalier
as to want to hide some of the information contained in those documents? Wouldn't I
want to know that my application is not ready to deal with a particular kind of
document?

c) XSD extensions
I'm not sure about Eve's mail (I'll let her speak for herself), but what I was
hinting at were things like being able to add only to the end of a sequence of
elements, not at the beginning or the middle, or changing the order, for instance.
Whether that's desirable or not it's another question, I was just referring to
some constraints.