Subject: Re: [ubl-comment] UBL comments on ebXML Core Components TechnicalSpecification v1.8

Ron,

You're right that codes get mapped to meanings, and that identifiers
convey uniqueness.  But I think the proposal as stated is defensible.
For example, it makes the point that sometimes codes can "play the role"
of an identifier (that is, sometimes you have a piece of information
that both can be mapped to a meaning and, when used on a particular
object, indicates uniqueness of that object).  So making them be a
mutually exclusive choice is unhelpful.

The suggestion in the proposal is to allow identifiers to be
*represented* in a variety of ways (at the RT level, e.g. as Codes or
Names), while allowing the identifier-ness to be captured slightly
higher up (at the property level).  So nothing is being lost.

	Eve