Subject: Re: UBL 5/28/2002: [ubl-comment] NDR Code Lists

Monica Martin wrote:
> *     It might be helpful to weight which of the requirements
> are highest priority.  For example, I believe that
> interoperability and external maintenance would rank close to
> the top.  That creates the
> question what can you sacrifice for what.  It may not alter
> the outcome selected, however.

We discussed this, and had trouble making really strong differences in
weight among those top four items.  So I just made them all have the
same point values...  Luckily, we seemed to find a solution that's
strong on all of them, so we didn't have to make too many hard choices.

> *     Is maintenance adequately handled in upgradability, context
> rules friendliness and perhaps external maintenance?  I was thinking
> perhaps at some point, the "acquired" code lists may be housed in or
> available via a registry. In that fashion, what performance, storage,
> other reliability, usability, etc. requirements are we affecting by the
> decision (If I am off base, please discard).

Not off base at all...  If we're successful in encouraging the external
creation of code list schema modules, it would be ideal for them to be
registered and served out of repositories, same as any schema snippet or
other asset.  However, they would be subject to pretty much the same
forces/requirements as all those other assets, which include UBL library
modules and in many cases trade-community-specific (external)
customizations.

> *     Some of our assumptions may be affected by the "discussion"
> about code vs. identifier within CCTS.  Any leaveway to account for
> this?

Hmm, excellent question.  My understanding of the discussion is that
it's focusing on whether there is a relationship between codes and
identifiers that should be formalized.  If we end up with *some*
construct that has code-related primary and supplementary components
(and I think some such thing is needed regardless), then our
recommendations will still hold.  They will largely hold even if the
components of such a construct are tweaked somewhat.  We'll have to keep
an eye on this.

> *     For Multiple UBL Types Method, what controls can be
> place on external organizations?  Could this impede adoption?

We didn't choose this method, but the one we did choose raises the same
question.  We don't feel that we can force external organizations to do
anything, but we're going to try to encourage them.  We haven't quite
figured out the best way to do this encouragement, but the likeliest
scenario is to define a template/design pattern for external
organizations to follow, along with using prose and informal
documentation examples to explain what we'd like them to do.

There's also the option of our extending external datatypes if the
organization chose not to include the information that we need for
semantic clarity.  If they chose to include the information in a wholly
different fashion (e.g., a single "fielded" attribute value instead of
individual attributes for the supplementary components), it might impede
*our* adoption of *their* module.

Hopefully our actual detailed recommendations that appear in the NDR
document will make some of this clearer.  (I have to write this up
today! yikes!)

	Eve