Subject: Re: Kavi meeting with the UBL chairs

Hi,

Here are a few more problems I ran into yesterday
that I sent to Jon, but to expedite the matter I'll
summarize here again.

-Anne

------------------

I recalled seeing a mail message recently from someone
outside UBL stating that they were trying to find a link
to a previous mail message and couldn't, so I dug that up
and included it here, along with a few other problems I
encountered while investigating this.  I think this is one
of several exmples of how Kavi link issues are impacting
external users and TC work.  This is just a small example,
but there are hundreds, if not thousands of people out
there trying to access these resources every day, and
probably not finding anything, even though we may not
be hearing about it - yet.

See comment which I highlighted by ">>>>" in left margin
from Diego's email below.  As I said, I'm sure he's not
the only one who is having this problem.  No one can retrieve,
with any regularity, anything from the OASIS archives.
This is quite critical.

The first thing I did was search for the email he said he
had tried to locate.  It was returned in the search results,
but clicking on the link - which does seem to have the correct
URL, according to what shows up in the browser footer, at least,
when I run my mouse over the link - yielded the now-familiar
http://www.oasis-open.org/css/top.css page: "Resource Not Found".

In addition, if I go into my members page and do a search
on the UBL TC (BTW, I coulndn't find the ubl-comment alias
in the search list) for this email message below, I don't
get a hit on this email from Diego, only on Mark Crawford's
response.  Why would this be?

I then tried to search on a phrase from Diego's email:
"registry/repository and the details about the CC" to try
to locate his email (not the one to which he is referring,
nor to Mark's response, but specificially to the email I
have included below) and got 'No results found'.  I tried
putting the phrase between quotes, putting 'and' between
each word (since the Search Help in Kavi doesn't mention
phrase searches, only word searches).  But still no hits
on this.  So the email I have included here doesn't seem
to be in the archives any more (or at least not according
to Search).  Is it possible we're losing data?

BTW, when I then clicked on Mark's message that was returned
as the response to my first query, I was taken to the
perpetual-redirect http://www.oasis-open.org/css/top.css
page ("resource not found") once again!

I'm holding everything I need for the TC work in my inbox,
unless someone has posted it to the "Documents" area of
the private area.  This is the problem - people are beginning
to put documents in the the private area becuase they know
it's the only way to get at them with any certainty.  But
this precludes anyone that isn't on the TC to get at the
material.  It seems to me this entire environment is intended
to close up the development process (or else it is built with
the assumption that the process is not open).  I'm biting
my tongue as I say this, but this reminds me much more of
processes used by other organizations, which purport to be
'standards' groups, which we know are not.  I woudn't be
surprised if this software was developed to server that
market more than the actual open standards processes to
which we have been accustomed.

-A