Subject: Fwd: need input on doc mgmt at OASIS

FYI.

Jon

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:13:56 -0400
From: "Karl F. Best" <karl.best@oasis-open.org>
To: members <members@lists.oasis-open.org>

OASIS members:

Now that we've got the new TC collaborative tools up and running, the
next bit of major functionality that we need to provide to our TCs is
for the management of documents produced by the TCs. We need an
integrated solution that will allow us to do the following:

* allow the TCs to manage all of their docs in a consistent manner
* require permissions for different types of people (members, chairs,
public, etc.) to perform different functions
* use the just-completed doc naming scheme discussed by the TC chairs
* use the assigned OASIS URN namespace, and provide some mechanism for
administering this
* ensure persistent URLs, both for existing docs and into the future
* include a CVS collaborative development environment
* take advantage of at least some of the collaborative tools doc
repository functionality (notification of TC members, etc.)
* provide for long-term archiving of completed and approved OASIS Standards
* provide adequate security for the server and files located there

In addition, whatever we come up with needs to be built using limited
or donated resources, and needs to run on existing OASIS server resources.

This is certainly not a complete list of requirements, but just some of
the things I can think of off the top of my head. Some issues are
related to functionality, others to usability; we need to address both.
All of this is more than we here on OASIS staff are going to be able to
  solve, and as you, our members, are the users of this functionality
we need your input and expertise.

(This isn't a call for proposals from software vendors -- yet. The first
step is to gather requirements and design a solution. Only then can we
look for products.)

I would like to assemble a small, ad hoc committee of OASIS members that
could help us come up with first a list of requirements that we would
then circulate for comment, then a proposed solution that we would also
circulate for comment before starting to build a solution.

If you are interested in helping with this project please let me know.
I'd like to get this going soon, as there is a fairly urgent need to
have this problem solved.

thanks
-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org