Subject: Re: [ubl-csc] [Fwd: [ubl-dev] UDEF applied to CCTS - a Proposal for Alignment]

The EIDX event described went off without a hitch Tuesday and
served as a reasonable lead-in to my UBL status report immediately
following.

Garret gave what appeared to me to be a fine overview of CCTS.
Ron responded with a UDEF presentation from which I took away the
following:

 - Both UDEF and CCTS are based on 11179

 - UDEF aligns very well with CCTS, and in fact can be considered
   CCTS without the third name field (representation term)

Don't waste your time arguing with my summary -- I can't accept
UDEF's taxonomy to begin with.  But if we do a repeat of this
event, I'll ask you to do the CCTS presentation. :-)

Jon

   Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:13:26 -0500
   From: "CRAWFORD, Mark" <MCRAWFORD@lmi.org>
   Jon,
   =20
   UDEF - although an intelligent identifier in that you can derive =
   semantic meaning from it - is really a much lower level construct than =
   CCTS. UDEF, as really nothing more than a UID for registry contents, is =
   really just like a dewey decimal library catalog system.  Yes you can =
   decipher what the general concept of a particular artifact are  based on =
   the UDEF identifier, but that identifier does not describe to you how =
   the contents fit together to make a larger whole. CCTS, on the other =
   hand, with its basis in 11179 and object approach, provides a building =
   block construct with ever increasing levels of aggregation that fully =
   identify associations. So it is really an apples and oranges comparison. =
   =20
   =20
   At last weeks Intelligence Community Metadata WG, I made the case that =
   1) CCTS is really an instantiation of ISO 11179 - just as OASIS =
   standards are instantiations of W3C specifications and 2) the ebXML =
   registry with its robust information model and associations capabilities =
   coupled with CCTS and its modeling/storage/metadata/associations =
   specifications comprise the semantic content management features of =
   ebXML (See attached and feel free to share).  I would hope that EIDX is =
   given the opportunity to appreciate the real differences between the low =
   level UDEF construct and the much more robust CC methodology.
   =20
   =20
   Mark=20