ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Details on the Methodology

Title: Message
Tim, Tom, et al,
 Tom Gaven>  I also think the General XSD Rules section of  the Naming and Design rules document could be split into 2 sections.
Section 1.  From the perspective of the UBL 'process'
Section 2.  From the perspective of implementors extending the UBL schemas.

I agree that the document should be split. On a related point, I posted a message just before Christmas [1] requesting that the general algorithm used in the spreadsheet be stated in English in the NDR document, as Eve Maler once did. Only response I saw was from Joe Chiusano (thanks, Joe).

Tom Gaven> [GSX8, xsd:choice element MUST NOT be used]

I really cannot understand why UBL forbids xsd:choice. Aside from the fact that even DTDs permit choices, there are many applications in which a content model must reflect a choice. For example, suppose a government form allows the user to include either a TIN or SSN for identification purposes, or another application allows one of 4 parameters for a search. How can we possibly create UBL-compliant XSDs that meet our business needs with such a restriction on content models? We would be forced to create redundant schema that differ only in such choices, an obvious maintenance headache.

Ken Sall, SiloSmashers
[also GSA e-Gov Initiative, Integrated Acquisition Environment PMO]