ubl-dev message

Subject: Code list use case

Hello ubl-dev,

A couple of weeks ago, I sent out a request to this group for
discussion of code list requirements and the use of substitution
groups:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200502/msg00006.html

The UBL TC didn't get as much guidance from that discussion as we
were looking for, so I've been requested to forward the following
concrete use case from Marty Burns of NIST (editor of the UBL Code
List specification) in the hope that it will elicit more specific
results.  Note that the example assumes it to be a requirement
that the code list be extended without modifying the UBL schemas;
it is legitimate to question this assumption, but what we're
really trying to understand here are the consequences of trying to
fulfill the requirement.

Please do not use the subject heading of this message for other
topics.

Jon

A Sample Extensibility Use Case

A trading group such as an automobile manufacturer and its
suppliers want to use UBL schemas for exchange.  Assume that a new
currency, FQD (Free Iraqi Dollar) comes into being and is
immediately used by trading organizations.  The maintainer of the
CurrencyCode list updates the list on an annual basis, so a new
version of the standard code list is not yet available.  However,
trade must go on.

Assume that CurrencyCode "ISO 4217" is defined by UN/CEFACT and is
maintained by that organization.

Assume that the trading partners are using the UBL-Invoice-1.0
schema to define their order process.

We have two XML fragments in a partner  exchange:

   <cbc:LineExtensionAmount amountCurrencyID="USD"
      amountCurrencyCodeListVersionID="0.3">50.00</cbc:LineExtensionAmount>

and

   <cac:CurrencyCode>USD</cac:CurrencyCode>

The question is, how does the trading group immediately
accommodate FQD without modifying the UBL schemas or the
CurrencyCode list schema?