ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] RE: [ebxml-dev] Multi Language XML Invoices

An aspect of UBL I think important to stress is that there
is only one version of the XML schema itself (with english tags).

The language translations of UBL are *not* to allow
conversions of the actual tags of the XML but my understanding
is that a typical implementation of multi-language support would
be to use the visual representation of the message as the place
where the translated labels are used.

One helpful feature of UBL is the provision of UNLayout key
presentation stylesheets. This is the approach of UNeDocs.
The benefits of the UNlayout key as an aid to facilitating
translations are clear and quite easily understood. By mapping
several translations between the labels and/or positions of the
Key and the 'hub' central schema such as UBL there can be
provided a useful resource to aid translations (and there is also
the fact that multiple schemas can also be mapped to the same
Key to aid transformations between messages in different XML
flavours).

So my answer is that yes XSLT types of translations are the sort
of way to go (and there are alternative ways to translate of course)
but *not* of course to translate the XML tags, just the labels of
a human interface. So the responsibility seems to me to be placed
on the receiving application in how to present the message. This means
that the sender of the message should only be interested in indicating
the language of the *content* of the message and many of the datatypes
in a CCTS (ISO15000-5) implementing business language such as UBL
- those which carry text strings - have a language attribute for this.

In UBL we have both localisation subcommittees to deal with the
translations and localisations and the Human Interface SubCommittee
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/sc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-hisc)
specifically to deal with the specifying presentation of messages (where
language translations are of special significance).

All the best

Stephen Green