List Home All Archives Dates Threads Authors Subjects
ubl-dev - RE: [ubl-dev] A reasonable example of drop-ship UBL1.0orderingprocess? Message Thread: Previous | Next
  • To: 'Stephen Green' <stephen_green@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Fulton Wilcox <fulton.wilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:19:39 -0500
  • Cc: ubl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send Email to ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org:
Send new message
Stephen,

I'm sending a PowerPoint that I hopes clarifies the essentials of the "drop
ship" process. The principal change from your diagram is that the "seller"
in the center "swim lane" between the buyer on the left and dropship vendor
on the right.

Even in "drop ship" situations, the buyer and seller will conduct normal
buy/sell transactions directly - sales order acceptance, advanced shipping
notices, invoices, updates on status, etc. If buyer/seller communications
have been set up as a UBL trading relationship, there typically would be no
change in the XML documents exchanged for a transaction involving "drop
ships."

If, for example, the City of Bristol buys PCs and servers within a UBL
trading relationship from a local office supply distributor, perhaps most
often the distributor fulfills orders from stock. If, however, the City of
Bristol needed an unusually large number of PCs, servers, and associated
gadgets for some project (e.g., to predict the weather in the vicinity of
Bristol), the City would send an order to the distributor, which would
accept the order, but in turn would send an order to the manufacturer to
drop ship some or all of the items ordered directly to Bristol's chosen
point of receiving. Again, if the trading relationship between the
distributor and its supplier is highly automated, the only notable
difference is that the ship-to address would be that of the City of Bristol
rather than the distributor's warehouse.

As this hypothetical case illustrates, the main business objectives of "drop
shipment" are 1) to minimize double handling, 2) to minimize supply chain
stock levels, and 3) to avoid the need for buyers to set up rarely used
trading relationships with some distant manufacturer or other source. At an
extreme, the "seller" could go "virtual" and have no stock at all although
more commonly there will be some Pareto relationship involved - e.g., the
20% of outlier or hard-to-handle orders will be dropped shipped.

I hope that this explanation and diagram are of assistance.

                                                Regards,

                                                Fulton Wilcox
                                                Colts Neck Solutions LLC