ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SV: [ubl] Re: [ubl-dev] Datatype Methodology RE:[ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

<Quote>
After all, should my application have to be able to support musical notation or hieroglyphics in a product description?
</Quote>

If there is a way for us to enable UBL-conformant applications to sing line item descriptions to users, now that would be cool (not to mention supporting Sanskrit*;)

Joe

*I once took an undergraduate course in conversational Sanskrit

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: stephen.green@systml.co.uk [mailto:stephen.green@systml.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:56 AM
To: ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org; ubl@lists.oasis-open.org

Bryan, All,

This raises and interesting point. There is surely an important need to specify in a trading agreement the character set to be used in the documents. I wonder whether even CAM has this :-) After all, should my application have to be able to support musical notation or hieroglyphics in a product description? Maybe there should be a way to specify a subset of a character set too (especially if it is Unicode we are talking about).
I bet many have had problems when a character decodes to two characters in certain systems (e.g. the GBP sign £): not good for translation to fixed width and/or EDI.

All the best

Steve