ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: RE: [ubl-dev] Datatype Methodology RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

At 2006-05-10 21:32 -0400, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>Thanks Fulton. I should clarify that my example of a 35-character limit
>had (or should have had) a vastly different context than the scenario
>you portrayed below. I should have explained further. Considering your
>case 1 below:
>
><Quote>
>If the seller's source system feeding data to a UBL dispatch advice
>creation process does not itself accommodate a carrier name greater than
>35 characters, the seller will have already truncated the names.
>Therefore, in Case 1, the filter is irrelevant.
></Quote>
>
>In the scenario I had in mind, this case would never happen, because
>either the max element length would be changed to accomodate the
>greatest length among all participants,

But what if a new participant with a longer name joins after this had
been determined?  That would require propagating new schemas to
everyone if the approach is being solved by schemas.

>or a different approach would be
>taken that would be more specific to each trading partner's needs

Precisely!  A different approach.  Don't constrain the schemas.  If a
trading partner has an implementation limit, treat it as a business
rule and layer it on top of the schemas.

Thank you, Joe, that's what I've been trying to say.  The schemas
define the vocabulary, the trading partners define the limits of
coded values and implementation constraints.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04