ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] UBL payload and client-server integration tools

Quoting Fulton Wilcox <fulton.wilcox@coltsnecksolutions.com>:

> RIA designers need to fight for every millisecond reduction in response time
> budget to offset infrastructure limits.

well invite them over for discussion..

> Indeed, XMPP(jabber)is more likely to be an enemy rather than a
> friend to business-transaction-oriented RIA.

oh bah humbug...

> Enterprise internal networks
> often have less available headroom than the Internet and may have been
> engineered more for throughput than response time optimization.

que?

> With respect to demand, your quote "Speed is, like Einstein said, relative,"
> is apropos. Speed is relative to user think time and expectations, and there
> are quite predictable user perceptions regarding what is "sluggish" response
> time.

I hear it all the time from stockbrockers complaining about how slow
the systems are. Take away their computers and give them back a
telephone, pen and paper... see what happens.

> The RIA designer has to accommodate user perception, even if the user
> is in a branch office or is using cellular data service (e.g., EV-DO).

So what. Users complain every day.

> Given the crunch between supply and demand, within the RIA world, there is
> something an XML backlash, because of its overhead. For example, below is an
> advisory from an RIA tools oriented site:

yup - not surprised.

> Judged from an RIA perspective, a typical UBL transaction is a giant clot of
> text to be either parsed or generated.

yeah? we have tens of thousands of ublish purchase-orders and they all
pretty small.

> We can of course leave the client-server RIA designers to their own devices,
> but what I have been looking to accomplish is to see if there is a way of
> working within their performance framework, while preserving the essential
> value proposition of UBL.

That is my philosophy also.

Regards

David