ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Ordering Question

Hi Jan

In my opinion, the modified Order Response is a kind of Quotation,
and sometimes it is officially more than that depending on the contract
and terms and depending say on which of the qualified LineItem lines
are used in the modification - whether SellerProposedSubstitute- or
SellerSubstituteLineItem. The latter could be previously agreed in a
contract and there could be some automation agreed but the laws
for the locality (e.g. EU procurement directives) would, together with
the contract determine whether the OrderResponse could be more or
less like an OrderChange. It's up to those designing the process and
the requirements they design it with to decide what should happen following
an OrderResponse with modifications. I'd suggest it is simplest for the
OrderResponse with modification to be like a mixture of rejection and
quotation resulting in either the first order being cancelled and another
Order being sent or just an OrderChange being sent by the Buyer.
There may be contractual reasons to modify this process but that might
be more complex. I suggest that the main areas of difference might be
1) whether or not a second Order should be accompanied by an actual
OrderCancellation (since it seems debatable whether the first 'order'
ever became an actual order without a full acceptance being received by
the Buyer from the Seller, so one could argue the first order didn't need
cancelling because it was never finalised)
2) whether the OrderResponse with modifications actually constitutes
confirmation of acceptance of part of the order (if it does it may make
further action uneccessary and result in a firmed order once the Buyer
receives it). Using ebXML may be an answer in this case to your concern
because the OrderResponse is sent according to a defined process (e.g.
ebBP) and the message could be sent with a non-repudiable received
response (or just, for all I know, a non-repudiable OrderResponse with
normal acceptance response signals from the Buyer system may be enough).

All very interesting but mainly a legal issue I think. These might be the kind
of issues to consider in the answer but the answer may have to be resolved
on a case-by-case basis by legal folk due the dependancy on local / context
specific factors. UBL sought to cover all eventualities and the UBP processes
are atomic to allow for this (they can be combined for local requirements).

All the best

Steve

>>> Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@mac.com> 01/01/07 22:23:10 >>>
Hi,

I have a question rearding the ordering process described by UBL 2.0:

If the seller party modifies an order and thus replies to an Order
with an OrderResponse and if the buyer chooses to accept the modified
order (thereby reaching one of the two end states of the ordering
process) how does the seller know that the buyer accepted the
modified offer?

Generaly speaking:

IIUC, the only way for the seller to know the end state of the buyer
is via the OrderResponseSimple, where the seller kows the buyers
state because it is simply represented by the previous Order message.

Thanks for any help.

Jan