ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] UBL vs UN/CEFACT

Stephen,

You pose some significant questions. At the risk of pointing out matters that everybody already knows and experiences, below are three observations:

1. "eBusiness" standards are servants to internal business system conventions having to do with enterprise-level process, data and exiguous rules (e.g., imposed by taxing authorities), with many of these enterprise-level conventions being partially or entirely idiosyncratic.

A long-term "cure" is to have eBusiness standards (object definitions, transaction definitions, code lists, etc.) imported into internal systems to become "native" rather than translation paste-ons. However, this cure is an evolutionary movement that barely merits the term nascent.

Meanwhile, two impacts of idiosyncratic internal systems conventions on the shaping and utilization of eBusiness standards are: a) the encouragement of fresh start standards as opposed to revising existing standards, and b) a shortage of standards design resources, because no single standards group can bring to bear enough "mindshare" to analyze and accommodate the plethora of idiosyncratic needs. .

2. A given eBusiness standard is shaped by (and trapped in) the technology extant at the time the standard's "version 1" was created – e.g., EDI was born when terseness was essential because of then-existing constraints on and prices for computing resources, disk storage and bandwidth.

Although most constraints on computing and network resources have been greatly relaxed through technological progress, one technological constraint which has persisted is the lack of "intelligence" in computers, and this technological shortfall has the consequence that eBusiness standards still need to be inordinately detailed and precise. For example, what to people are easily understood and actionable transactions (e.g., faxed orders or invoices) often defy automated interoperability.

 XML (as "markup") was an enormous advance over the positional sort of approach used in EDI (and in comma delimited data, still a very heavy competitor to eBusiness "standards), but as we know the process of bundling payload data into XML transactions and, on arrival, tearing down XML transactions for import into internal systems still goes awry because automated processes are too stupid to overcome minor differences and ambiguities that do not confuse human beings. Unfortunately, comparatively "intelligent" data does not substitute for intelligent computing.

On the other hand, we probably have not fully exploited the advances of "brute force" computing capabilities, which unlike computer "intelligence" has progressed at the predicted high rate. As an example of what may be a missed opportunity, today "master data maintenance" is feasible across hundreds or thousands of computers, facilitated by brute force computing and storage, but nevertheless eBusiness transaction standards are designed on the basis that each transaction must carry within it all of the "master data" needed to make the transaction informationally autonomous. Often our discussions of the need to add something to a transaction has little to do with the dynamic attributes of the transaction (e.g., number of units shipped), but is intended to accommodate some static master data.

There are not a lot of higher level "master data" standards extant although certainly many code list standards constitute master data standards at the tuple level (country code to country name, etc.).. Oasis cis (a not quite finalized standard for relating parties to one another, to locations, to organizations, etc.) is an example of a high level "master" data standard as opposed to a transaction data standard, and if trading parties held and shared such data (preferably through replication rather than transactions) the complexity of transactions could be reduced.

3. Various industries or specific large enterprises (or governmental entities) serving as self-appointed "hubs" (as in hub and spoke) tend to set standards priorities – e.g., the EDI world was shaped and prioritized by automobile and other very large manufacturers and associated transport providers, while the cXML/xCBL world was prioritized by "virtual" eBusiness entities primarily engaged in non-production buying and selling )office supplies, maintenance parts, packaged chemicals, etc.).

Manufacturers were (and are) enormously interested in complex supply chain operations of production goods (e.g., needing shipping advices which have enough detail to convey data on the contents of rail cars containing many different packages and parts and identifying arrival schedule), so EDI and XML-based variants of EDI minister to those needs. On the other hand, those in the cXML/xCBL world had (and today often still have) as a top priority the user experience in the order entry/catalog process, with downstream functions such as shipping being highly simplistic – a carton handed off to Federal Express or UPS. The insurance industry and the medical insurance industry have used eBusiness primarily as internal industry infrastructure: for example, to streamline business processes between insurance providers and insurance agents. Although these diverse needs can be melded, it takes a lot of work and creativity to do so without merely layering complexity on top of complexity.

The bottom line is that eBusiness is harder than it should be because of the negative synergies among these three forces (and others). These interacting forces perhaps can be aligned to create positive rather than negative synergies, but on the other hand as mentioned in point 1 there just are not enough people and time to do the necessary analysis and synchronization.

                                                                                                Fulton Wilcox

                                                                                                Colts neck Solutions LLC