ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] ExchangeRate amounts

Hi Graham,

can you make a sample of rounding errors ?

In my country the rounding of amounts has precise rules so it is implicit.

I am aware of rounding errors on some big amounts when developers are
erroneously using double or float numbers instead of using special numeric
types suitable for big numbers (e.g. in Java this is solved using the
BigDecimal class)

Thanks for any sample of this issue

Roberto Cisternino
UBL ITLSC co-Chair

> Hi Graham
>
> Thanks for that link to a visual representation of the schema. It's neat
> that they provide that. It's very easy to navigate and fast too. Cool.
>
> Please forgive a simplistic question: Which amounts do you have
> presented in two currencies (source and target)? Is there only one of
> the remittance advice's many amounts (many considering tax, etc)
> which needs, in your case, to be converted between currencies and
> expressed as an amount in each? If so, maybe this is a special case
> for a remittance advice and would just need a small change. I think it
> may be too late for UBL 2.1 though, but perhaps someone closer to
> things in UBL TC will correct me. If it is too late you might want to
> think
> about using the extension
>
> http://schemas.liquid-technologies.com/Oasis/UBL/2.0/default.html?url=http://schemas.liquid-technologies.com/Oasis/UBL/2.0/UBLExtensions25.html
>
> You would have to create an extension XML format/schema but it looks
> like you only need to represent these two unambiguous amounts.
>
> Like I say though, hopefully someone closer to the UBL procurement
> modelling (PSC) can reply to this too.
>
> Best regards
>
> Stephen D Green

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently trying to apply a remittance advice document to act as a
> message from a payment gateway, and am struggling with exchange rates.
>
> The payment gateway provides both the source currency and the target
> currency, and the source amount and the target amount.
>
> The ExchangeRate type in the UBL schema provides a source currency rate,
> and a target currency rate, but doesn't offer the option to specify the
> amounts charged explicitly.
>
> From what I can see, this means you need to infer the target amounts
> given the exchange rate, which is subject to rounding errors. This will
> make it difficult to reconcile accounts at a later stage.
>
> Are there any plans to add explicit amounts to the ExchangeRate type, as
> described below? (or plans to offer an equivalent mechanism)
>
> http://schemas.liquid-technologies.com/Oasis/UBL/2.0/default.html?url=http://schemas.liquid-technologies.com/Oasis/UBL/2.0/ExchangeRate3.html
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> --

> 'Do it online' with our growing range of online services -
> http://www.bristol.gov.uk/services
>
> Sign-up for our email bulletin giving news, have-your-say and event
> information at: http://www.bristol.gov.uk/newsdirect
>
> View webcasts of Council meetings at http://www.bristol.gov.uk/webcast

* JAVEST by Roberto Cisternino
*
* Document Engineering Services Ltd. - Alliance Member
* UBL Italian Localization SubCommittee (ITLSC), co-Chair
* UBL Online Community editorial board member (ubl.xml.org)
* Italian UBL Advisor

  Roberto Cisternino

  mobile: +39 328 2148123
  skype:  roberto.cisternino.ubl-itlsc