ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] XPath expressions in UBL / Signatures

Hi,
DocumentReference is an official location where UBL uses XPath, but we
found xpath could be used in other location into a UBL document instance.

I retain the version of xpath is a processing information not an xml
parsing information or a business information so we could best use a
processing instruction for providing such information without changing UBL
models.

Cheers,

Roberto

> At 2011-05-13 13:38 +0100, Stephen D Green wrote:
>>Like Roberto, I think, agreed, maybe a future BBIE could be defined
>>to cover the need for all the explicit information about an XPath
>>expression such as bindings and versions (and maybe modes such as
>>1.0 compatibility mode) so that any future understanding of the
>>document (e.g. by third parties such as accountants and governmental
>>auditors, etc) would be unambiguous, much as there is for codelists
>>- probably just needs a qualified datatype with suitable
>>supplementary components.
>
> Indeed.  An optional supplementary component for the default
> namespace (absent implies no namespace) and then the XML in-scope
> declarations for prefixed namespaces would be definitive.  Perhaps
> another optional component indicating the assumed version of XPath
> library and syntax support (absent implies 1.0).
>
> I see the XPath element is currently based on the CCTS text type:
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/mod/summary/reports/UBL-AllDocuments-2.1.html#t-CommonLibrary-629
>
> It is technically possible, then, to create an XPath unqualified data
> type in this module:
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/xsd/common/UBL-UnqualifiedDataTypes-2.1.xsd
>
> ... that extends the CCTS text type and adds the supplemental
> components desired as attributes.
>
> It would be backward compatible with the XPath BBIE in UBL 2.x
> documents, but I would still be reluctant to add it this way to UBL
> 2.y because it would be the first unqualified type that would not be
> compatible with other CCTS-based documents whose business objects are
> based on the standard CCTS types.  Systems supporting those documents
> would not know what to do with the introduced supplemental components.
>
> As it stands today, there are no attributes in UBL that are not in
> CCTS 2.01.  I'm uneasy about suggesting changing that.
>
> Making a UBL ABIE with the required components would ensure all
> components are based on standard CCTS types, but it wouldn't be
> backward compatible with the UBL 2.0 BBIE.  Hmmmmm ... unless we
> added these needed components as BBIEs as siblings to the XPath
> element in DocumentReference, since XPath is only used in
> DocumentReference and nowhere else (but would require the same
> multiple BBIEs anywhere new where XPath is introduced in an ABIE):
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/mod/summary/reports/UBL-AllDocuments-2.1.html#d-CommonLibrary-629
>
> Anyway, let's look at this when the committee gets a compelling use
> case.  That use case would drive one of the two above approaches, or
> indeed maybe a third.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . Ken
>
> --
> Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
> Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
> G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
> [...]

* JAVEST by Roberto Cisternino
*
* Document Engineering Services Ltd. - Alliance Member
* UBL Italian Localization SubCommittee (ITLSC), co-Chair
* UBL Online Community editorial board member (ubl.xml.org)
* Italian UBL Advisor

  Roberto Cisternino

  mobile: +39 328 2148123
  skype:  roberto.cisternino.ubl-itlsc