ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] cva2xsl script

At 2012-01-09 00:43 +0100, Daniel Orasanu wrote:
I have (again) a few questions:

All questions are welcome!

Mr. Holman wrote in an Email:

"Ken" please (though now we have a plethora of Ken's on the TC membership!).

??

When thinking last week about an upcoming code list task at UN/CEFACT, I was reminded of arguments raised during a similar development process in the OASIS Code List Representation Technical Committee: that the TC should *not* be in the business of publishing running executable code in support of its standards. The two main arguments are:

(1) - who is going to maintain the code if it breaks and the author is no longer on the committee?

(2) - the TC should not be in competition with any organization that may wish to write code to fulfill the same requirements

One of the arguments for producing code was "but this is a reference implementation" and that was deemed insufficient to address the two concerns.

The case study is the CVA to Schematron conversion tool that I wrote, donated to OASIS, and then repatriated back to Crane because of the committee decision:

<http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/#cva2sch>http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/#cva2sch

..?

Here my Questions:

1) He spoke about ?..because of the committee decision..? is there any UBL TC official decision why the script went back to Crane Softwrights Ltd.?

The decision did not happen in the UBL TC but in the Code List Representation TC. I wrote the first implemented version of what was then called "Schematron-based Value Validation Using Genericode" and there were preliminary implementations of the process posted to the OASIS repository as part of the specification development.

This was the discussion that triggered the change from the specification of a validation process to the specification of a file format:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist/200708/msg00023.html

Within two months, in the minutes of the October 9, 2007 meeting, the deemphasis of the process and the emphasis of the file format was minuted:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25622/Meeting-20071009-Minutes.htm

The specification ended up with the name "Context/Value Association" for the file format, with no implication of any process stuff.

I then repatriated the code and put it in Crane's free resources. It was available to all when in the OASIS repository, my updates have also been made available to all.

2) ?..the TC should *not* be in the business of publishing running executable code in support of its standards..?. The script above is such an executable.

Right, which is what the Code List Representation Technical Committee did not want to see as part of the specification.

How do I have to understand this script:

a.       The script is free to use

b.      AND  it is property of Crane Softwrights Ltd.

c. WHAT IF CraneSoftwrights decides not to update this script on further UBL/CVA/Genericode features ?

The license allows the source code to be modified by others for any purpose.

? this is pure hypothetical-no affront to Crane Softwrights Ltd. J. Isn?t this a kind of ?bottle neck? for the script and for the UBL-Validation?

No-one has come to the Code List Representation TC requesting any changes to either genericode or CVA file formats, so I don't see a bottle-neck. There is *plenty* of time for alternative implementations of the process to be created by others if Crane's are deemed insufficient.

I see this script as the linking-piece between UBL , CVA ,GC Files and validation process.

These scripts are being used by the committee in order to produce the committee deliverables. A snapshot of the scripts are posted for archive in the TC repository (admittedly these are old; there was discussion recently with the editors that I should refresh the snapshot). If Crane ever shuts down unexpectedly, the other TC editors have access to everything that is needed.

Are any other (known | free | not-free) scripts who do the same job?

Not that I know of.

The CLR-Dev list (the equivalent of this list but for the Code List Representation TC) is very quiet:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/clr-dev/

No-one there has expressed any interest in developing an alternative.

3) Can this script information be mentioned in future UBL 2.1 documentation?

The specifications are mentioned, which should be sufficient. There is no requirement to use Crane's code and I would not want it implied that it might be a requirement.

I'm not sure where the concerns are. There should be by now enough copies of Crane's material out in the wild that if Crane were to disappear the TC would not be prevented from producing its deliverables. Is that the nature of your concern?

I hope this reply has helped.

Free 5-hour video lecture: XSLT/XPath 1.0 & 2.0 http://ude.my/uoui9h
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com