ubl-dev message

Subject: Announce: New and revised tools for working with genericode and ODS files

Fellow UBL Dev'ers,

I have just updated a recent package and added a new package to work with genericode and OpenOffice ODS files. Now one can round-trip from a genericode file to ODS and back to genericode again, losslessly (unless you find a bug!).

The new tool converts a genericode file into the files needed to be ZIPped into an OpenOffice ODS file:

  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/index.htm#gc2odsxml

The revised tool coverts an OpenOffice ODS file into a genericode file:

  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/index.htm#ods2ublgc

The revisions were necessary in order to work with the ODS files on Google. As of today there is a bug in Google Docs Spreadsheet: Google preserves on input a worksheet name of any length but it truncates on output a worksheet name to only the first 31 characters. A handful of UBL worksheet names are longer than 31 characters, so I've had to implement a regular expression scheme of abbreviating and expanding worksheet names in a predictable fashion. Ugly but necessary until Google fixes their bug. If you aren't working with Google Docs Spreadsheets for your UBL objects, then this bug is irrelevant and the stylesheets work by default without any abbreviation or expansion.

These are two of the tools that I will be using in my contributions to the UBL technical committee. Anyone can use them for their own document models and schemas. The other free tool I announced previously that is related to this is the one that creates the schemas from the genericode files:

  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/index.htm#gc2ublndr

Thank you for considering using the donation button on our web site should anyone care to contribute funds towards the continued development of these free resources.

Please let me know, off list, if you have any questions or find any bugs.

Free 5-hour lecture:  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/video.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/ |
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ profile:       http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about |