ubl-fpsc message

Subject: RE: Rendering of UBL Instances

Good evening, David,

At 2003-05-07 09:54 -0700, Burdett, David wrote:
>Thanks for the feedback. However using processing instructions causes
>problems as, for example, PI's are banned from SOAP [1]. Since I can
>envisage that putting a UBL document inside SOAP enevelope will be one of
>the main ways in which UBL documents will be transported I think this is a
>significant restriction which should be avoided.
>
>Thoughts?

Introducing any new non-standardized stylesheet mechanism would require
customized machinery to access the stylesheet information for the rendering
of a document.  I understand from asking others at the XML Europe 2003
Conference that SOAP attachments are opaque to the protocol and that
processing instructions would be preserved when included in such an
attachment.  I am unfamiliar with the SOAP development community's
justification for banning processing instructions.

Regardless of this, however, as stated in our supporting comments posted
earlier, the specification of a stylesheet provides no assurances to the
sender that the recipient can utilize the indicated technologies to produce
an acceptable presentation.  Limitations of available software and
platform-specific capacities may prevent the recipient from being able to
render the document as desired by the sender.

In our discussions in our committee and in the joint UBL meeting in London
it was felt that while stylesheet technologies may be very appropriate for
the sender of a message to produce a final form presentation, it is not
appropriate to add machinery to UBL for the specification of any particular
presentation technology to be specified for use by the recipient.  Should
the sender wish to present a final-form format to a recipient, that is out
of scope of UBL and the sender could use the Portable Document Format (PDF)
as an adjunct to the UBL data.

These arguments were presented to and accepted by the LCSC at the London
plenary, who are responsible for the elements and attributes of the UBL
vocabularies.

Further consideration of this issue has brought to mind the scope of the
subcommittee's work to produce formatting specifications that are
technology agnostic.  Our objective is to specify where information found
in UBL documents is to be presented in the printed form, without knowledge
or reliance on any particular presentation technology.  It could be
stylesheets, it could be vendor-specific formatting applications, or it
could be any technology at all.  Perhaps adding W3C stylesheet-specific
information to the instance might prejudice against vendor-specific
implementations of our committee's formatting specifications.

Note that even XSLT and XSL-FO implementations of the formatting
specifications are out of scope for the FPSC committee and will be
contributed to the community by some of the members of the committee or
outsiders who work with the committee deliverables.  The fact that they
happen to be used to produce the example renderings is irrelevant to the
mappings.  It was also decided in London that the next UBL package will not
include stylesheets and will only include result sample renderings.

I hope you have found this discussion helpful.  Thank you again for your
input to the subcommittee.

......................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
-      (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc