ubl-fpsc message

Subject: RE: [ubl-fpsc] Summary of document types and scenarios post 0p70

Title: RE: [ubl-fpsc] Summary of document types and scenarios post 0p70

Hello Ken

The official number for receipt advice is 632, I believe. Perhaps we could/should submit code requests for the other two documents through UN/CEFACT?

regards

Sue

Sue Probert
Tel: +44 1425 275117
Mobile: +44 7798 846652
email: sue.probert@dial.pipex.com <mailto:sue.probert@dial.pipex.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: 03 June 2003 12:58
To: ubl-fpsc@lists.oasis-open.org

Good morning all,

At 2003-06-03 12:24 +0100, Stephen Green wrote:
>I'll ask LCSC in a few hours time if all of the document forms (including
>'purchase order change request') will be required for each scenario.

Thanks, Stephen!

>Were there any indications the scenarios would change in order to
>incorporate all of the forms across the scenarios?

Yes, it was mentioned in London that the two existing scenarios did not
cover the seven (now eight) document types, and that neither scenario was
appropriate for all document types.  In particular, I was told that neither
scenario would well accommodate an instance of the Receipt Advice document
type.  We were also missing Order Cancellation.

To summarize:

  - Joinery
    - Order
    - Order Response Complex
    - Despatch Advice
    - Invoice

  - Office
    - Order
    - Order Response Simple
    - Despatch Advice
    - Invoice

Missing:
    - Order Cancellation
    - Receipt Advice

In the list of UN layouts (which will still be included but de-emphasized
in the package in some way unless we can be sure to have well-functioning
layouts):

  Numbered:
   220 Order
   320 Order Response
   351 Despatch Advice
   380 Invoice

  Not yet numbered (hoping to reserve a number to protect from future use):

   X01 Order Response Simple
   X02 Order Cancellation
   X03 Receipt Advice

  And subsequently added based on your research:

   230 Change Order

Inverting the list of document types w.r.t. the two original scenarios, we
have the following list of use of the types:

   Order                    Joinery, Office
   Order Response Complex   Joinery
   Change Order             (none)
   Despatch Advice          Joinery, Office
   Order Response Simple    Office
   Order Cancellation       (none)
   Receipt Advice           (none)
   Invoice                  Joinery, Office

So, if LCSC are going to be complete in the scenarios, they need to fill
the above three holes.  Again, remembering the UN Layouts are special and
do not participate in any LCSC scenarios ... actually, this brings up the
issue of which instances should we use for UN Layout scenarios that do not
exist as LCSC scenarios?

Would everyone please check this over, as this is my understanding and the
basis from which Stephen can build the FPSC project plan (with whatever
changes we get from LCSC)?  I haven't seen such a summary list from LCSC,
so I'm not sure they are aware of the coverage of the scenarios currently
in place.

It will be our FPSC responsibility to come up with formatting
specifications addressing the layouts summarized in this note, thus the
basis of the project plan that Stephen will set up and manage for us.

As to how we, as FPSC members, break up the task of writing the formatting
specifications, the complex time-consuming part is understanding the
document types ... not effecting the layout mockups.  Perhaps, then, we
should split up the work along the document type lines, instead of the
scenario lines ... one person write both Order specs and perhaps the other
order-related specifications.  One person write both Invoice specs and
possibly the two despatch ones as well.

I see the UN layouts as a separate task, with someone focusing on the forms
that exist, and someone else (I'm hoping Jean) on realizing the forms that
do not exist since we need to follow UN layout concepts and, effectively,
propose these new layouts to the UN in order to reserve the form numbers
from their numbering scheme.

Please share any comments you may have about this perspective, as this is
only *my* perspective ... we need to know of alternatives to be
considered.  Think of where you can promise your time so we can start
thinking about who is doing what on the schedule.

Thanks!

....................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
-      (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl-fpsc/members/leave_workgroup.php