ubl-hisc message

Subject: An unofficial teleconference this evening

Only Patrick and I attended the UBL HISC meeting this evening, so no formal
minutes were recorded as we didn't have quorum to make any decisions.

However, we did have the opportunity to talk briefly about input
methodologies and UBL.

I reported that Lars Oppermann last week demonstrated a prototype of an
XForms implementation of UBL data entry using the layout key from UBL
0.7.  This evening I was contacted again by Lars regarding the latest
layouts and specifications from the committee and I've now directed him to
that.

Regardless of the input mechanism (e.g. XForms), I am not, however,
convinced that the UN Layout Key represents the "best" input methodology
for a UBL document.

It is certainly an acceptable layout for input, as the positional semantics
of the information on the page are well understood around the world based
on historical dependence on the form field positions.

In conversation with Patrick I related that in parallel with the XForms
implementation of the UN Layout Key, I hope the HISC can establish
requirements and develop strategies and implementations of input
methodologies that are not simply mimics of printed forms.  There might
even be handheld-oriented profiles of the input methodologies as well as
full-screen-oriented profiles.

In my assessment of the positions of fields in the UN Layout Key, I posit
(though I have no certainty) that some of the field location decisions were
made as pragmatic tradeoffs of real-estate restrictions on the page, not as
part of a methodical strategy of assisting the data entry person in the
fulfillment of the information.

I would think it behooves us to try and come up with a UBL input
methodology appropriate to the entry of UBL information and specify
variants of the methodology based on possible situations in which people
need to create or edit UBL documents in a visual layout.

Patrick reported that a graduating-year project team is exploring an XForms
implementation of UBL documents for the ebXML appliance, but that the team
was still a long way away from submitting any kind of report.  Patrick will
report to the HISC list on the progress of the team.

I will try to call a meeting next week at the same day/time.

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc