ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] Latest Input Spec progress

This looks good, Micah ... I have a few comments on the Python, perhaps
others will as well.

  (1) - would the building of the record classes be done more easily from
the XML using DOM or SAX instead of parsing the flat text?  I get the
feeling that may have made the job more direct than recreating a structure
from a string that was created from the structure.  Since it is working it
doesn't have to change, but I'm curious why you didn't go directly to the
structures.
  (2) - can the set of rules be split into a separate Python source file
that is imported by this file ... or can that separate Python source file
import this file, such that the collection of rules is practically the only
thing in the file except for comments and necessary wrapper declarations
and invocations?  That way we can point to the file and a lay person need
not go through all of the Pythonese to get to the table of rule statements.

ATTENTION COMMITTEE MEMBERS:  We will soon (perhaps already?) need input
from subject matter experts, rather than programmers ... can someone on
HISC review the selections Micah has made in light of the semantics of the
fields?

I suspect, however, that you will need to take these files and utilize them
in building an interface so that what subject matter experts review is an
actual form having interpreted your data.  This is what happened with the
output specifications.  It was only when the output specs were accompanied
with actual print-outs that subject matter experts were able to
meaningfully comment on the specifications.

Thanks!

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc