ubl-hisc message

Subject: Feedback on XPath file structures for general purpose use

Fellow HISC members,

I've received some valuable feedback on XPath files from George
Cristian Bina <george@oxygenxml.com> of the group who has created the
oXygenXML http://www.oxygenxml.com development environment:

(1) - there is no facility for mapping the prefixes of types to URI strings

(2) - there is no documentation supporting the documentary
conventions of prefixes, giving the improper impression the prefixes
are somehow normative

(3) - has enough thought been put into the cardinality information
when considering models such as the following?

     test -> (a, x*) | (b, x+) | (c, x)

This leads me to conclude we have not put enough thought into the
XPath files to make them truly general purpose.  They are at this
time solving our UBL problems and I'm even using them (unexpectedly)
in addressing the code list issues.

I've made it a personal action item to consider after the code list
and formatting specification stuff is completed what it would take to
enrich XPath files that they might, indeed, become general purpose
tools.  Especially in light of how they are showing themselves to be
useful in contexts other than that for which they were originally
developed in their simplified form.

Thanks!

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc