ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] Re: SV: Human Interface Group -UBL

| >Au contraire, we will indeed be updating the Support Package
| >periodically as we have further helpful stuff to include.
|
| I was unaware.

This was something we just realized as we were talking about it at
last week's meeting.

The ability to update Committee Specs on our own schedule is one
key reason to keep many of the deliverables at that level rather
than going for OASIS Standardization.

| That would mean, then, moving "Output formatting specifications
| (may not include all doctypes)" and "Input mapping specifications
| (may not include all doctypes)" from "UBL 2.0 Support Package" to
| "Standalone supporting specifications", and leaving "sample
| XForms" in the "UBL 2.0 Support Package".  I suppose I could put
| Crane's stylesheets in the support package if the package is being
| revised periodically, though that would take traffic away from my
| web site which is one of my goals in having made them available
| for free ... so I'll have to think about this.

Yes.  It's to UBL's marketing advantage to be able to say "the
Crane stylesheets are included in the release (But wait! There's
more!)".  And it would be nice to say that both the stylesheets
and the XForms are in the same place.  Functionally, however,
there's no problem with just linking to them; it's really a
rhetorical point.  Whether that's worth a potential loss in
traffic to your site is certainly something you should consider.

| Oh, a thought though ... does this give too much weight to the
| output and input specifications?  They are, after all, only meant
| to be guidelines.  Do they "deserve" to have Committee
| Specification status?

Sure; they're "specifications."  And remember, last time they were
in the Standard....

| I'm curious to know how people feel about how much weight these
| example specifications have, as that will inform the decision to
| make them standalone or just part of the support package.  I like
| that the support package will have a life of its own with periodic
| revision.

The standalone docs can have a life of their own, too, as long as
we don't put them through OASIS standardization.  I'm not sure
that I want to encourage that, but it's certainly possible.

Jon