ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] Input specification documentation for UBL

Hello Mark,

Welcome!  I'm really excited about the plan you've suggested.

As the ubl-hisc mailing list is quite small, however, I think you
should re-send your message to the entire UBL list.  People may
not have much to say in response simply because the plan you've
laid out is so sensible (though they might -- you never know), but
I'd like the whole TC to be aware of what you're doing.

Jon

   Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:52:40 +0000
   From: Mark Seaborne <mark@picoforms.com>

   Hi All,

   I have just joined the group at Ken's suggestion with a view to seeing
   if I can help devise a way to create useful documentation to record the
   requirements for creating input mechanisms for UBL XML.

   I have been working with electronic forms for some years now -
   initially working with EDI, and latterly with XML. I have been a member
   of the W3C XForms WG for some years now, and my current employer,
   PicoForms has XForms implementations that run in desktop browsers and
   mobile devices.

   Until recently I worked for a UK standards body, (Origo), that works on
   XML standards for the UK Life and Pensions Industry. We had the same
   requirement to specify generic rules for creating input applications to
   populate documents conformant to our Schemas.

   Historically this was achieved by producing prose documents that
   described:

    - The logical grouping of fields and groups of fields in an electronic
   form.
    - The order in which fields should be presented to the user (if
   significant).
    - Where data cross-population was valid (e.g. if the same address
   could perform more than one role).
    - Where and how values could be calculated internally (e.g.
   subtotals).

   The documentation was somewhat flawed as it assumed a visual
   presentation on a computer desktop, and all rules were expressed, often
   poorly, as prose. It was nevertheless a useful starting point.

   More recently we started to look at using XForms + XHTML + CSS to
   produce better documentation. XForms lends itself well to use as a
   "meta" forms description language. It is a largely declarative language
   designed to capture the intent of a form author without imposing any
   particular presentation mechanism. It consumes XML Schema and
   instances, and allows for the creation of XPath based constraints
   (similar to Schematron) and calculated values.

   I am now keen to explore a similar approach in he context of UBL. I
   recently built a simple, generic form that allows a user to walk an XML
   instance and view associated annotations from the UBL schema (see:
   http://www.picoforms.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Business_Language_%28UBL%29)
   and am now looking to see how this can be adapted.

   Ken pointed me at the specification for calculating totals (
   http://www.oioubl.info/documents/en/en/Guidelines/OIOUBL_GUIDE_TOTALS.pdf)
   from which I can derive XPath expressions that I can use with an XForm
   to test that they work. So this looks like a nice, simple next step.

   It has been suggested that it would be best for me to create
   implementation-technology-neutral documentation to describe rules for
   building input applications, and then to test by generating XForms that
   implement the rules from the documentation. The resulting XForms could
   also serve as interactive appendices to the main documentation. This
   seems a reasonable approach to me.

   Anyway, I would really appreciate thoughts and ideas from others with
   experience in this field. Does the general approach sound reasonable?

   My employer is happy to allow people to use our XForms implementation
   freely to access the forms I produce - so I will let you know when
   there is something to play with.

   All the best

   Mark

   Mark Seaborne