Subject: RE: [ubl-lcsc] An impact on stylesheets by global names vs. localnames decision

At 2003-01-20 06:33 -0600, Burcham, Bill wrote:
>But what if you needed to process Party structures Ken?  That is, what if
>you had code (template), similar to your Address processing, that you wanted
>to act on all Parties?  You'd be stuck wouldn't you (since the tags in each
>kind of Party differ)?

Precisely my problem ... in 0p65 I had a shared Name/Address template.  Now
I have only a shared Address template and I am obliged to handle the names
explicitly.

>The ramifications Ken cites, are a result more of the last minute change to
>"long" tag names than of the decision to use globally-scoped element
>declarations.

Sorry ... without the background in the project I caught that discussion
and assumed it was related to using long names to achieve global uniqueness.

>   What was being enforced by globally-scoped element
>declarations was that whenever one saw the tag "CityName", one was
>guaranteed that it had precisely the same structure.  The vocabulary could
>still have many content models containing that tag (CityName).  Long tag
>names (tag names that include the Object Class) foreclose on the possibility
>of such reuse.

Yes, unique naming may inhibit a lot of sharing of common processes.

I didn't want to reopen any can of worms with my observations ... I just
promised that I would forward to the group issues that caught my attention
under my purview.

There isn't really a need to respond to these posts unless my incorrect
assumptions might lead other readers astray ... thanks, Bill, for setting
me straight.

............. Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth   Europe:         February 17-21, 2003
XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO     North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc