Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] MINUTES: Joint NDR/LCCSC 4 Feb 2003

At 2003-02-04 18:01 -0600, Lisa-Aeon wrote:
>The following are the minutes from today's joint meeting.  Please, Arofan,
>Bill, Eve, and others, read through them carefully, either comment by
>email or joint the call tomorrow afternoon.  We appreciate having your input.
>Discussion Topic 1: Context Methodology
>Marion asks about a copy of Ken's message about Draft Guidelines for UBL
>Instance Creation. He suggests they have some specific questions that they
>would like some help on. Eduardo says it was Ken's way of figuring out how
>to do something without being informed about the Context Methodology. The
>paper is about extension. Ken summarizes other people's approaches to
>doing extensions, one of them is Sally's approach to extensions, Tim's
>thoughts as well as his own.

I apologize if I have thrown a spanner in the works.  I created the paper
at the request of the chair during the phone call last week in order to put
in writing my concerns about the impact on processing applications (i.e. my
stylesheets) by decisions made in the sample instances that were given to
me to process.

I am *totally* unaware of the Context Methodology and was only trying to
write a few stylesheets.

I will gladly accommodate whatever instances I am asked to work with ... in
the absence of said instances I went ahead and created my own because not
having them is a roadblock to my progress.

Both Sally's and Tim's sample instances wouldn't have worked with my
stylesheets because of assumptions I had made regarding processing
applications working with UBL instances.  I was just asking in the phone
call what was expected of UBL instances so that I could best write my
stylesheets to accommodate them.  This resulted in the request to present
the three differing expectations of writing UBL instances.

>Eduardo suggests we give Ken our Context Methodology and attend a concall
>about it.

In Monday evening's concall this week I was asked to add seven stylesheets
to my workload to complete before Friday's freeze, with the statements of
work on these seven new stylesheets to have been delivered to me by this
morning (BTW, they haven't arrived yet so I'm already behind writing the
stylesheets).  I'm afraid I'm not in a position to put time into the CM to
provide meaningful input.

>Eduardo proposes to be given time until Thurs evening to do another pass
>on the Guidelines and then send it to library for reading and see if it is
>satisfactory by Fri. He will look at Ken's paper and possibly Sally's
>examples. These are presented as instances not schemas which makes things
>a little more difficult.

Remember that a stylesheet has no awareness or access to a schema or any
kind of document model and only has an instance to work with ... nothing
else.  All I can work with are XPath addresses into XML instances, which is
why I presented my perspective from the point of view of the instances.

As I said ... I'll work with whatever instances you want me to work with
and will change my stylesheets accordingly.  As the CM evolves I'll
accommodate context as needed, though I cannot warrant my rushed
stylesheets this week will be able to handle any structure that is
different than the samples I'll be expected to use this week.

To summarize where I am at this morning (Wednesday), I have to work on
remaining items from Tim's comments in:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-lcsc/200301/msg00200.html

These have all been incorporated into the formatting specification
documents being prepared for Lisa for Friday's freeze, and I have a few
changes left to make in the actual stylesheets themselves to reflect these.

Tim has formally handed off control of the mappings to Jean, and she has
questioned some of the decisions offered by Tim in his post.  Once the
seven new presentations arrive for me to work on, I probably won't be able
to get around to implementing Jean's suggested changes in time for Friday's
freeze.

The thought on Monday was that with seven simple presentations, one for
each of the seven document types, then Friday's freeze will have the
capability of printing the information from any instance created for
0p70.  I think this is important enough to put the UN-layout stylesheets at
a lesser priority.

It will be awkward for me to meet Friday's freeze if the seven simple
presentations and sample instances are not provided soon.

Thanks!

........................ Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth   Europe:         February 17-21, 2003
XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO     North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc