Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] FW: [ubl-ndrsc] Domain Namespaces

thanks again - as i suggested before these comments are best dealt with by submission, following the due process of the review.  we will not be debating them on this list until we have all comments in.

Burcham, Bill wrote:
(forwarded at Eduardo's request)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eduardo Gutentag [mailto:eduardo.gutentag@sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 1:46 PM
To: Burcham, Bill
Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Domain Namespaces

Was there no talk of an "Advice" domain? Surely those two Advice
doctypes are not the last advice ones to be generated, are they? I
don't know, I have no expertise at all in this area...

Burcham, Bill wrote:

(This is a communiqué from the NDRSC to the LCSC.  I've been appointed
to communicate our consensus on these issues.)

There are a couple disparities between the NDR guidelines and the way
the 0p70 schemas actually came together.  These became evident in this
morning's NDR meeting.

I. Namespace per Domain -- not per Document

>From lines 650-653 in version 21 of the NDR doc

(http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ndrsc/release/wd-ublndrsc-ndrdoc
-21.do
c):

	Two higher-level "domain" namespaces are defined, one for the
"ordering" domain and another for the "invoicing"
	domain. The Order Domain namespace defines message types and ABIEs
specific to the ordering domain. Similarly, the
	Invoice Domain namespace defines message types and ABIEs specific to

the invoicing domain.

We would therefore expect to see document types for Order, Order
Cancellation, Order Response, Order Response Simple all defined in a
single "Order Domain" namespace.  Unfortunately, that isn't the case
in 0p70.  That release assigns each document type to its own separate
namespace.

The recommendation here is that in the next UBL release we merge those
many namespaces into one, "Order".

II. What "Domain" Should Receipt Advice and Despatch Advice be Part of

It's fairly clear where the ordering and invoicing document types
should to, but we don't know where to put Receipt Advice or Despatch
Advice document types.  Do we need another domain or two?

Please, LCSC, prescribe a domain/home for each of those document
types.

III. The "Common Aggregate Types" Namespace is Bloated

The "Reusable" or "Common Aggregate Types" (cat) namespace was
designed to contain vocabulary _shared_ between the various domain
namespaces. Unfortunately, in the 0p70 release, the cat namespace
contains many vocabulary items that are _not_ shared between the
various domains.  In fact it contains the whole vocabulary sans the
CCT's and the document types themselves.

I was about to ask LCSC to perform an analysis to partition the
vocabulary elements but in thinking about it I realize that is the
_wrong_ way to approach this.  Instead I'd like to ask NDRSC (or Tools
and Techniques) to generate an analysis tool that will do this
partitioning for us.  Once we find homes for the document types (in
the various domain namespaces) it should be a small matter to identify
the vocabulary elements that are shared among two or more domains.
Those would go into the cat namespace.  For the remainder, each would
be "pushed up" into a domain namespace.

-Bill