Subject: Re: Fwd: [ubl-lcsc] Re: UBL, XMI, XSD, RSS, etc [on behalf of TonyCoates]

Title:
Below is a message from Tony Coates.

I think this approach sounds worthy and welcome others to comment.

NB use the list to do so, Tony can read but not write.

Anthony B. Coates wrote:
Dear Tim,

	I tried to post this to the LCSC list during the week, but OASIS doesn't let me post to their lists, so I thought I would just post it to you instead.

	Cheers,
		Tony.

** Forwarding message from "Anthony B. Coates" <abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com> on Tue, 27 May 2003 20:13:21 +0100

** Reply to message from Tim McGrath <tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au> on Tue, 27 May
2003 09:53:55 +0800

I actually see the value of the UML within UBL in two ways:
firstly, as a means of describing a conceptual model from which many
physical models (various document, eg. Purchase Order, of various
syntaxes, e.g. EDIFACT or XSD) can be generated (as Steve says).

Yes, that is definitely the advantage of having a logical data model.  However,
let me add my own experience here.  I've recently been looking at the ISO/SWIFT
method of generating XML Schemas from UML, which is used for ISO 15022.  They
use a very restricted set of UML constructs in order to maintain the
consistency of their model, which is a good idea.  Like most general modelling
paradigms (including XML Schema), the fewer features you use, the more
manageable your model tends to be.

The problem, though, is that conformance to the ISO/SWIFT UML usage is
essentially voluntary, because UML tools don't provide an easy way to control
the "style" of a UML document.  There is no UML Schema language.  For this
reason, when MDDL decided to move to a logical model for generating its XML
Schemas, I chose not to use UML.  Instead, I wrote a simple XML Schema for the
*logical* model.  This is quite different to the MDDL Schema that people use
for financial information.  The MDDL modelling Schema is used to create a
tightly constrained XML view of the logical model.  This makes it easy to
maintain the "style" of the logical model, which greatly benefits the quality
of the results.  As well as applying a restrictive XML Schema to the logical
model, we also use some XSLT stylesheets to check constraints that XML Schema
cannot check.

If at any stage we get sufficient requests for a UML model, we will generate an
XMI model from the MDDL data model.  At the moment, we find that a suitably
generated set of Web pages makes the information accessible to the people who
want to review the model without looking at XML directly.

So, the point I want to make is that it is a very good idea to have a logical
data model.  You can use UML for this, but it isn't the only option.  What is
more important is being able to constrain the logical model to maintain
consistency and quality.

In terms of how UBL is designed now, using a spreadsheet, a having been playing
around with a transitional approach as follows:

1. Use the spreadsheet as the source to generate a data model in XML.
2. Validate the XML data model against a restrictive XML Schema, and/or apply
XSLT constraint checks, to check the consistency of the data model.
3. Generate the XML Schemas from the XML data model.

This would give UBL the benefits of a well-controlled data model, while still
preserving the spreadsheet.  At a later stage, if people wanted to work with
the XML data model directly, step 1 could be removed.  I'm happy to discuss
this approach further.  It has certainly worked very well for MDDL.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.
====
[...]

phone: +618 93352228