Subject: [code] Minutes from code list teleconference 2003-08-14

The first meeting of the code list task group met for an hour
teleconference 2003-08-14 at 11:00EDT/8:00PDT/15:00Z.

Present were: Jon Bosak, Gunther Stuhec, Tony Coates, Lisa Seaburg, Eve
Maler and Ken Holman (chair).  I was remiss in asking someone to take
minutes and I have only a few notes to work from.

The call for participation for this task group was posted to the main UBL
mail list:

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200308/msg00001.html

The focus of this initial meeting was to establish the objectives of the
task group.

Eve identified the classification scheme of the ebXML registry as a
workable candidate for maintaining the meta data for each coded value.  Eve
will send links to Ken for Ken to present an example to the group.

Jon asked for clarification on what the normative code list document would
contain.  It was thought the document would describe where code lists are
found, how they and their supplementary information are defined, and
provide education or a simple manual in their use.

Tony observed that the use of xs:appinfo is not necessarily supported in
some tools and that only an externally supplied file would ensure all
applications treated the supplemental information in the same way.

Gunther outlined an idea he has for a general definition of a code list,
and he will post to the list the details of his idea.

In retrospect, I realized we did not have a discussion of NDR input posted at:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-lcsc/200308/msg00021.html

This input reminds us we need to supply enough "internal and external" code
lists to make the UBL core schemas "viable".  In Montréal a discussion
regarding this included comments that a set of placebo values for
non-standardized code lists would give an indication to users of the
customization needed to be done privately to create a set of coded values
meaningful in their particular trading environment.  This will necessitate
that we catalogue the needed code lists and identify someone responsible
for proposing a code list fragment to use for each.

The next teleconference will be held 2003-08-28 at
11:00EDT/8:00PDT/15:00Z.  Work is expected to take place over the LCSC mail
list; please use [code] at the start of the subject for filtering purposes.

.................... Ken

p.s. on a personal note, I do *not* have the background in code lists for
UBL that other group members have, so there were times during the call
where I was taken a bit off guard by assumptions claimed to have been
already resolved or discussed, and I had difficulty recovering or even
recording these issues as they arose.  I understood not to have been asked
to look at all aspects of code lists afresh but only the aspect of code
lists with respect to maintaining supplemental information for each
enumerated member.  To this end, I will try in another email message to
clarify the objectives of this code list group.  The discussion in Montréal
brought up the new point about the "viability" of "UBL out of the box" and
the code lists necessary to make that work, and that was added to our
objectives.

--
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training
for XSLT and XSL-FO world-wide; please contact us for the details;

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc