Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Re: UBL 0.81 CCT draft-9-mod

i take your point Jon.

my reaction to this is somewhat akin to yours about list containership.
 my experience makes me nervous about this idea, even though it sounds
sensible.

In EDI syntaxes, X12 has similiar data types to XSD, such as ID
(identifier), DT (date), TM(Time), R (percent), etc.  it is interesting
to note that when EDIFACT came out it reduced these to three data types
(alphabetic, numeric and alpha-numeric).  even so, i have lost count of
the times applications needed to use numeric digits in elements defined
as alphabetic or needed spaces in numerically-defined elements.

i am not advocating we discourage schema validation of data types.  i
just wondered if this was best left to the contexts of implementation
and should be defined by extension to the 'vanilla' UBL types if the
customer wants it.

finally, whichever way we go, we should be consistent - we utilise the
precision of XSD datatypes and their derivations (such as dateTime and
token) or we don't. at present we appear to be making arbitary decisions.