Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] [code:fixed-attribute-value] Straw-man 2 Code list proposal - candidate final

At 2003-09-11 02:34 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>2. For the file "UBL-CodeList-StatusCode-Private-Adjunct-strawman-2.xsd"
>the use of a "fixed" value attribute associated with the code type
>is a mechanism that would be copied or instantiated in all places
>where an element is defined to have that particular code list type.

Precisely!

>This, again, in my opinion, may not appear good because the fixed
>value attribute gets instantiated (where schema-validation is
>performed) all over the places where the code element itself
>is instantiated.

Indeed!

>Does that make sense?

For downstream processing, many processing languages (such as XSLT) do not
give access to the schema expression, only to the elements, attributes and
PSVI additions from schema validation.  The presence of the fixed attribute
ensures that a processing application with schema validation will see the
reference to the schema adjunct file associated with a coded value.  This
gives the processing application the opportunity to access the schema
adjunct file at run time.

>Following the marathon LC call last nite, perhaps another mechanism
>to store the metadata "myAdjunctFile.xml" is to use the newly
>defined <ccts:Instance>, and to create a new sub-child such as
><ccts:AdjunctFilename> (the local name is just a suggestion for
>lack of a better name).  As the adjunct file name is a
>schema-validation-time  constant and not used in instance-run-time,
>its instantiation in code elements would not be required, and
>storage in the annotation portion might seem good enough.

I understand that there is a conformance level by which a validating schema
processor is allowed to maintain only the result of PSVI interpretation and
not the PSVI expression itself.  By coding this value in the schema
expression instead of the resulting PSVI, there will be processing
applications for which the schema adjunct file reference is unavailable.  I
understand that *all* schema-aware validating processors would be obliged
to ensure the fixed attribute value obtained as a result of schema-aware
processing is made available to an application.

And surely a single attribute in the PSVI only for those instance
constructs containing a coded value is not a significant burden for the
processing of the instance.

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-09-22
Next public US delivery:        3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc