Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Minutes for 5 December 2001 UBL NDR meeting

NDR SC portal: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ndrsc/

PLEASE NOTE: The group agreed that we WILL meet during the following two
weeks, starting one hour later than our normal time and meeting for only an
hour each time.  We will focus on tag structures on December 12 and
extension methodology on December 19.  Everyone PLEASE use email to send
your comments and the results of your action items -- we need your brain cells!

1. Roll call (quorum is 9)

    Bill Burcham       YES (x:10)
    Doug Bunting       YES (x:25)
    Dave Carlson       YES
    Mavis Cournane     YES (y:00)
    Mark Crawford      YES
    John Dumay
    Matt Gertner       YES
    Jack Gager
    Arofan Gregory     YES (x:10)
    Eduardo Gutentag   YES (x:16; gave us quorum)
    Eve Maler          YES
    Dale McKay         YES
    Sue Probert
    Marion Royal
    Gunther Stuhec     YES
    Mike Rawlins       YES (x:45)
    Maryann Richards   yes (non-voting)
    Bob Glushko        yes (non-voting)

    Quorum not achieved as of x:06.  We proceeded informally until x:16.

2. Acceptance of minutes of previous meeting:
    28 November 2001 meeting:
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200111/msg00110.html
    Accepted.

3. Adoption of agenda
    Adopted as is.

4. Action item review

    ACTION: Eve to write a section for the NDR document documenting the
    choice of schema language, and a position paper for the archives.
    Continued.

    ACTION: Arofan to create a new use case for instance constraint
    checking.
    Continued.

    ACTION: Mark to revise the NDR document to reflect editorial
    directions by next meeting, if possible.
    DONE.

    ACTION: Arofan/Sue/Lisa to provide the xCBL naming guidelines (and
    all the other xCBL guidelines!).
    Continued.

    ACTION: Mark to update naming position paper with our suggestions
    (including email suggestions).
    Has a dependency on Arofan providing examples and UDEF information.
    Continued.

    ACTION: Mark to take a look at the original XML 1.0 design principles
    to see if it's useful to add any of them to our document.
    DONE (was put in the NDR document as a placeholder).

    ACTION: Arofan to send a pointer to the draft ebtWG specification that
    has a process diagram that will be helpful for figuring out use case
    actors.
    DONE.  The version that's on the NDR portal, is slightly out of date
    but its narrative about actors will still be useful.
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ndrsc/input/Core-Components-Technical-Specification-Ver-1PT6.doc

    ACTION: Sue and Maryann to do some use case brainstorming offline.
    Continued.

    ACTION: Dale and Sue to work up tag structure examples and examine
    them in light of the two "PatientParty" circumstances listed in
    the November 28 minutes.  Other interested parties are Mark, Arofan,
    Eduardo.  Due by December 5.
    Continued.

    ACTION: Mark to check with Mike on what the purpose of Section 5.4 is,
    and follow up with editorial changes as necessary.
    Continued.

    ACTION: Mark to insert into the NDR document links to the existing
    position papers, with notes about their being extremely non-settled
    and non-normative.
    Continued.

New action items appear below as well.

5. Current position paper champions, status, and priorities

    Mark:
    - Markup naming (A-priority)
    - Design principles
    - Relationship between UBL and UN/CEFACT constructs

    Eve:
    - Choice of schema language (A-priority)

    Doug:
    - TPA

    Arofan:
    - Customization (A-priority)

    Bill:
    - Modularization/namespaces/versioning

    Gunther:
    - Elements vs. attributes
    - NEW: Document size and performance considerations (Section 6.1)

    Dave:
    - Use cases (with Maryann) (A-priority)
    - Local vs. global elements

    Mike:
    - Code (enumerated) lists

6. XML 2001 messages to give Jon
    We agreed to pass along the following messages:

    - Review the charter for our SC and provide NDR portal URL
      discuss relationship among the "technical" subcommittees in
      particular
      . Names of the technical SCs
      . Charter text for the technical SCs
      . URL for NDR portal

    - Review our use cases (if we feel they're developed enough by then)
      . Working methodology is to develop rules in response to use cases
      . These distinguish UBL project from other XSD-using projects
      . Quick list of use cases we're working on

    - Give an idea of the breadth we're trying to cover in NDR
      . Markup naming
      . Modularity, namespaces, versioning
      . Customization (additive/subtractive)
      . Enumerated lists
      . Elements vs. attributes
      . Local vs. global elements
      . Tip of the iceberg -- just the highest priority -- see draft outline

    - Structured customization methodology
      . Context = business situation
      . Need context-dependent changes in business document structure
      . Give an example (add GPS field to address in automotive sector)
      . We will provide a machine-readable means for specifying these changes

    - Talk about the validator support issue and our software test list
      . Chose XSD for development, but have concerns (keep looking at
        RELAX NG out of the corner of our eye)
      . First and foremost -- no interoperability between validators!
      . Concerns about restriction support
      . Concerns about namespace support

    ACTION: Eve to send final notes to Jon and the SC by Thursday.

7. Finish going through the NDR document outline and assign more champions

    Mark and Eve took notes on all changes agreed to by the SC.

    ACTION: Everyone to review the NDR document and send all comments to
    Mark by Friday COB.

    ACTION: Mark to turn around a new draft by early next week.

    NEW TERM:
    Assembly: Using parts of the library of reusable UBL components to
    create a new kind of business document type.

8. Legal issues (following on to Arofan's posting)
9. Use case review (Maryann Richards)
10. Tag structure position
11. Customization position
     All deferred.

12. Next steps

     Meeting schedule: we will meet during the next two weeks, at noon-1pm
     ET instead of 11am-1pm ET.
     - December 12: Tag structure
     - December 19: Extension

13. Adjourn