Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] New XML design rules documents

Through a bit of a lapse in coordination, the X12 material was posted
prematurely.  I don't see any reason to withdraw it now that it has been posted,
but as project leader of that effort I do need to tell you a bit about it.  There
are three documents as follows (there are later versions of all three documents):

Philosophy3.doc - Lays out the philosophical/analysis foundation of X12's XML
design approach.  It will probably be of most interest at this point to the
library group.  The latest version incorporates a lot of what is in the next
document.

x12ddr2001.doc - Again at the philosophical/analytical level, it describes in a
bit more detail the five level conceptual architecture.

XML_Design_Rules.doc - An early draft of the final document that will be
undergoing extensive revision in the next couple of weeks.  This draft doesn't
include the philosophy section and the content from X12's position papers on
technical topics.  The "design rules" section is a tabular listing of preliminary
design rules, most of which are still under discussion.  They are not necessarily
aligned yet with either the philosophy section or the position papers.

We will be completing another draft which will be put into general release before
the X12 sponsored XML summit in the D.C. area on January 22.  I'll make sure that
the UBL TC receives the document that will be distributed for that meeting.

Also, FYI, there is interest in trying to achieve some degree of alignment
between the UBL and X12 work (or at the very least minimizing any conflicts!).
I'm sure we'll have opportunity to consider greater alignment as the work in both
groups progresses.

Regards,

Mike