Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc]

Comments in line

Gregory, Arofan wrote <snipped>:

> Mike:
>
> Much of what is  behind this suggestion comes from discussions in
> Barcelona, so you may not have all the background, but the same basic
> problem has been creeping up everywhere: CC does not give you enough
> ability to describe the things you need to describe!

True, I may not have been in Barcelona, but the content of your message
was sufficient to invalidate your example of "location code" as being
illustrative of the problem.  As I pointed out, location code is
actually an "identifier" according to Table 6-1 in the CC spec, rather
than being a "code".

> The original idea was one-to-one, but then you get into situations
> where the same semantic primitive can be expressed different ways.

I challenge this statement.  If a semantic item is assigned the correct
Representation Term, it should only be expressable one way semantically.
 If it can't be, then we probably need to throw out the whole notion of
Representation Terms, since I thought that was one of their main functions.

> In part, this situation arises because almost any syntax demands that
> the "primitives" from a semantic viewpoint be expressed as not single
> bits of data, but as clusters of related data - typically, the
> "primary" bit of data, a code, or a bit of text, or a number, PLUS the
> supporting metadata (which code list, what language, what currency, etc.)

I follow you from a semantic perspective, but don't see this as being
related to syntax at all.  Your examples are true in semantic terms,
regardless of implementation syntax.

> Problem is, if I have two "clusters' of data that perform the same
> semntic function, but are expressed differently - a coded identifier
> as opposed to a spelled-out name, for example - then I run into trouble.

Here you have two different things that may perform the same function in
a business context, but they are not identical semantically.  In an
airline reservation, either a frequent filer number or a name can
fulfill the need to uniquely identify a passenger.  However, in absolute
semantic terms they are not equivalent since they have different
representation terms.  What you have identified here is not a case of
two things with the same semantics being expressed differently.  What
you have instead identified is the need in a business message to specify
that that both pieces of information may be present, but at least one of
them must be present.   Perhaps this argues in favor of having an
abstract "identifier element" thing in a message definition, and the
BIEs of mumble.FrequentFlier.Identifier and mumble.Passenger.Name could
be concrete instances of it.  That still does not make them semantically
equivalent.  They will have different UIDs for both the base CCs and the
BIEs.  (BTW - This is the type of stuff we've been talking about in
X12C/TG3 lately.  I hope we have a chance for a joint update on each
group's work at the Minneapolis meeting).

> In the final analysis, we can't escape the demands of the business
> data we need to express.

Are we talking about anything else ? ;^)

> I am almost with you on the idea of getting rid of CCTs, and leaving
> that up to the syntax binding, except that I'm afraid that (1) there
> are some things that are absolute requirements of the data itself, and
> not the syntax (like numeric precision); and (2) if we don't specify
> what the clusters consist of, we will end up with non-interoperable chaos.

We can drop CCTs if we fully specify all of the constituent parts of
basic CCs (or BIEs) for each type of Representation Term.