Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Minutes for 24 July 2002 UBL NDR SC meeting

24 July 2002 NDR SC Minutes

1. Roll call (quorum is 8)
     * Bill Burcham       YES
     * Mavis Cournane     YES
     * Mark Crawford      regrets
     * Fabrice Desr      AWOL
     * Matt Gertner       regrets
     * Arofan Gregory     awol x59: regrets y:00
     * Jessica Glace      regrets
     * Michael Grimley    regrets
     * Eduardo Gutentag   YES
     * Eve Maler          YES (joined x58)
     * Sue Probert        YES
     * Lisa Seaburg       YES
     * Gunther Stuhec     regrets
     * Paul Thorpe        AWOL

Quorom was not reached by x:20 so we proceeded informally.

2. Acceptance of minutes of previous meetings:

 http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200207/msg00011.html

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200207/msg00007.html

Deferred

3. Adoption of agenda/schedule planning
**Added report from other SCs
**Added review of priorities for LCSC spreadsheet dependencies
*** Added review of modnamver proposal for namespace identifier and schema
location

   July 24:
    - Mark, Jessica, Sue, Michael Grimley send regrets
    - Topics:

    July 31:
     - Mark sends regrets
    - Topics: Review NDR document, ?
    September 18:
    - Topics: Approve documents for review distribution #3
    September 25:
    - No meeting; work on other UBL tasks instead
    October 1-4:
    - F2F #5 in Burlington, MA, USA
       A NDR document improvements (review every two weeks)
       A+ Embedded documentation DONE EXCEPT FOR DOCUMENTING IT
       A Code lists IN PROGRESS
       A Dates and times IN PROGRESS
       A Nested supplementary components
       A Identifier references and whether to pass content by reference
       A- Local vs. global elements
       B+ Containership
       B Updating guiding principles
       B Modnamver URN/schema location
       B Referencing of content, e.g. for attachments
       C Facets
       C Wildcards/open content
       C Nillability
       C Aggregation of similar information for XPath V1.0 addressing

4. Action item review

 Mavis:
    - Review Gunther's script for new issues. IN PROGRESS
    - With Gunther, add *Type/*ContentType info to the NDR document.
      IN PROGRESS
    - Update the issues spreadsheet with Eve's comments.

    Eve:
    - Finish draft of code list document. IN PROGRESS
    - Approach Tim and Jon on SWAT team idea. DONE

    Gunther:
    - Write content referencing paper. IN PROGRESS
    - Review the date/time comments and recommend dispositions. IN PROGRESS

    Bill:
    - Update modnamver; discuss with Eve and Lisa. IN PROGRESS
    - Revise role model paper. CANCELED

    Arofan:
    - Get NDR document section written on embedded documentation.
      IN PROGRESS
    - Create a worked example of how to define nested supplementary
      components.

5. Other SC reports
LC have a workplan going. The next distribution is planned for Aug 16th. The
idea is to have the distribution ready a week in advance and this should be
reviewed by an NDR person as per the Chairs Subcommittee recommendation.
Bill Burcham will review it, with Eduardo as a possible alternate.

The workplan on the portal.  Lisa will help Gunther with his perl script.

Mavis at the chair's request reported the following from the CSC meeting:

A. We need to start ensuring that every output coming out of each of the
two big groups has an assigned person on the other group who must review
it.  So, e.g., the LC methodology paper and 0pt65 distribution each need
an NDR person to step up to the plate and offer to review them.

B. We've been asked to check our prioritization with an eye towards
finishing the items on which the LC spreadsheet depends soonest.  Items
that just affect the perl script without requiring changes/additions to
spreadsheet columns can be decided a bit later.

6. Embedded documentation
    Deferred

7. Non-unique element naming in LCSC (Lisa)

Lisa during a QA of the LC spreadsheet noticed that  there were 21 IDs all
with the same name and with different definitions. It was agreed that this
was a basic problem of trying to maintain XML with a spreadsheet. To resolve
it just get more context by perhaps adding a column. That should not be a
motive to modify rules.

Sue believes that we need to solve the details problem, and it needs further
investigation. Lisa will take this up first during QA of the spreadsheet.

8. Review of priorities for LCSC spreadsheet dependencies

       A+ Embedded documentation DONE EXCEPT FOR DOCUMENTING IT
It doesn't matter for structuring of columns so not a priority for LCSC
spreadsheet.

       A Code lists IN PROGRESS
This remains a priority for the LCSC spreadsheet

       A Dates and times IN PROGRESS
We need to review possible changes that cropped up during the Core
Components meeting week of July 17   2002.  LCSC need to know what to put in
columns so this remains an A priority.

       A Nested supplementary components
This overlaps with code lists and remains an A priority.

       A Identifier references and whether to pass content by reference

This does impact the LCSC model. We are considering dropping this to a B
priority if possible. So long as your types have IDs you can punt on the
issue with the only consequence being that documents would be bigger.
There are a number of ways of dealing with these references, some that might
negate the need for NDR to have rules. One possibility is that Gunther will
invent an ad hoc way of doing this and NDR won't have to devise a rule for
it. Another possibility put forward by Eve was the use of XINCLUDE.
We will discuss this further with Gunther and see if it would weaken our
first schema output if we did not deal with this issue for September.
This needs to be put together with referencing of contents for attachments.
If this is A priority that needs to be too.

       A- Local vs. global elements
This is invisible to LCSC modelling process but we want to get review of our
recommendations by LCSC. From the NDR point of view we want to get this
settled soon for people who want to use our schema.

       B+ Containership -
This should be raised to an A priority because it makes a big difference to
the LCSC spreadsheet. Arofan will need to pick this up.

       B Updating guiding principles
Leave this as it is.

       B Modnamver URN/schema location
We have a working recommendation that we can put in to the NDR document. We
are aware that this might have to change but for now we are happy.
Mavis and Bill will work together to update the NDR document.

      B Referencing of content, e.g. for attachments
See passing references using identifiers

       C Facets
This needs a quick review by NDR for now and then put it out to LC for
review.

       C Wildcards/open content
Leave as is
       C Nillability
This is about deciding the semantics of a missing or empty thing. It does
affect the modelling. It has to do with data binding. We will suggest to
Jessica that she might write a position paper.

       C Aggregation of similar information for XPath V1.0 addressing
Leave as is.

Paula, one of the OTA people has need for Code List schema

9.. Containership (Arofan)
deferred
10. Review NDR document and discuss Gunther's questions
deferred

10. Next week's meeting
Will be at the same time and will last for 1.5hrs only. Eve has asked Mavis
to chair in her absence.
10. Adjourn
Y:30

--