Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Minutes for 14 August 2002 UBL NDR SC meeting

The whole "what to name containers" discussion is interesting.  I think I
have a way (borrowed from the C type system) for resolving this.  It's a
generalization of the existing naming rules.

We currently have ObjectClass.PropertyTerm.RepresentationTerm -- tripartite
naming.  RepresentationTerm specifies the type of the property.  What I
believe we're running up against here is that our type system (as it stands)
is insufficient to model what in C is called "derived types" and what in C++
is generalized to "parameterized types".

An example of a derived type in C is array.  In order to do typechecking on
an array you have to know what it is an array "of".  Properly, you need to
specify something like "array of int" or "array of contact".

C++ generalized this idea to parameterized types.  In C++ you can define a
"generic type" e.g. a List<X> where X is the kind of thing to be contained
in instances of this type.  So List<int> is a type of list that can hold an
int.

So I'm thinking that for our tripartite naming we (simply) need to expand
the capabilities of RepresentationTerm to (at a minimum) support our
container (derived) types.  I suggest two container types initially:
sequence and set.  List has too much of a data structure connotation for me,
whereas sequence is more abstract(leaving the door open to various
implementations).  Precedent here in the Standard Template Library (STL) for
C++ and the newer Java JDK 1.4 abstractions around strings -- the new
character sequence interface.

So I would suggest LineItemSequence for the example from the minutes.  I
guess Set and Sequence would have to become reserved words in our tiny
element naming scheme.

If we call the non-container types we've been dealing with to date something
like "direct" to distinguish them from derived types (containers,
parameterizable on a direct type), we could essentially expand
RepresentationTerm to be something like:

RepresentationTerm : DirectType
 | DirectType + DerivedType

DerivedType : "Sequence"
 | "Set"

So parsing LineItemSequence, "LineItem" is the DirectType and "Sequence" is
the DerivedType.  Together they constitue a RepresentationTerm.  This frees
you, should you need two such sequences at a particular level to distinguish
them via their PropertyTerm -- just the way we do with non-containers.  I
love it when things fit together!

-Bill